Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The Lake Disrict May 2015  (Read 2982 times)

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
The Lake Disrict May 2015
on: May 24, 2015, 12:16:46 AM
Having recently run in and had the first service I thought it was time for a trip. I headed up to the Lake District with a mate on his 800 Triumph Tiger. The trip up was about 5 hours from Surrey, arriving at Lunchtime on a Thursday. We did some of the Yorkshire Dales before heading to our Youth Hostel at Helvellyn.This was up a cinder track with stones and odd runs of concrete to assist cars to get up to the disused Lead Mine.

Over the next 2 days we did Kirkstone pass using the regular route to Ambleside and via "The Struggle" a steeper ascent. Passing a nod of appreciation to a lone female cyclist tackling this steep climb. SO MUCH EASIER WITH A C.R. After some sight seeing at Tarn Hows and a brief walk we headed via the A591 to the A56 onto the B5292 and B5289. what a cracking combination of fast A roads and slower twisty B roads To Buttermere.
We met up with 2 other friends and then went onto to Hardknott pass and Wrynose pass. Both tarmaced but bumpy and twisty and Hardknott is reported as the Steepest road in England at 1 in 3. Not too busy albeit there were a number of cyclists coming the other way , who on reaching the top and expecting a relaxing ride down were confronted with roads not best suited to skinny racing tyres.
The weather had been superb up to this point, but as can always happen in the Lake District it took a turn for the worse in the afternoon, which left us soaked by driving rain.
The C.R. remained predictable in the wet as it was in the dry. One thing I noticed was how badly the wider Pirelli tyres were affected by the sharp camber on some of the minor roads. Something the Tiger didn't suffer from ( it has much narrower rubber). Reading other reports here this may well improve with a change of rubber ( PR4s perhaps?). The visibility reduced to a bare minimum we turned to Keswick for Sustenance and to dry out.

After dinner we headed back to the hostel, the track up to it was pitch black with a minor waterfall flowing down it. Again I can report that The C.R. didn't put a foot wrong and by now I was thinking I couldn't be on a better bike for this trip.

Day three we headed in sunshine again to Honister Pass, which is a much faster road but not as pretty as the other high passes, and on the Whinlatter forest and Pass. We swapped bikes for a short while hear. I found the Tiger to be sure footed but its linear power delivery failed to excite me and didn't reward using the gearbox to make good progress. I ended up just sticking it in a high gear. The drone from the engine is another thing I couldn't really say was pleasant. I was pleased to get back on the C.R. and once we hit the fast roads again, cog down a couple of gears to make her howl and set off like a scalded cat.

The journey home was uneventful save for miles of trickling through stationary traffic on the M6 due to a range Rover losing its trailer carrying a Transit van ( clearly too heavy a tow load). It never fails to surprise me the amount of car drivers who just wont like a bike through in such circumstances.

We stopped for fuel twice on the way home and I was pleased to report that the C.R. matched the Tigers fuel consumption ( something the Tiger is noted for) averaging 10.2 Miles per Litre.
Lots of photos but I cannot get them under the 5KB limit to post on the site.
I had fitted a fender extender before the trip which kept all of the crud off the engine, and have now fitted Barkbuster handguards to give some protection from the elements to my otherwise exposed hands.

Trevor
Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:17:20 AM by 54K+

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Re: The Lake Disrict May 2015
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:28 AM
I put Angel GT's on the wife's bike, a big improvement over the OE tyres.
Sounds like a good trip. 

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:25:24 AM
Gr8 to read a longer submission on the site -sounds like a good trip thanks for taking the time to post.

Following my lyrical waxing about the improved experience of the cr my regular riding pal surprised me yesterday by turning up on a1050 tiger after trading in his sprint.

It's a revolution!

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:37:32 PM
Mine was almost a reverse of that process having traveled to the lakes last year with the same friend on my old VFR1200FD. His waxing on about the Triumph being better suited to real world use and especially on the types of journeys we do.
The demise of the 12 ( which I loved and wouldn't have sold) left me the opportunity to really consider if there was a better bike out there for me.

Yep. The C.R. ticks all of the boxes and has sufficient go to be able to fully exploit it in a way I couldn't get anywhere near to on the 12.

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:33 AM
Picture of me and the C.R. at the top of "The Struggle" looking back to Ambleside and Windermere.

The C.R. and Tiger parked on Kirkstone Pass.

and Leaving the Tiger in my wake on the climb up HardKnott Pass,
Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:11:13 AM by 54K+

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:03:15 PM
The bikes at watendlath

* Recent Topics