Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine loosening up time  (Read 5846 times)

Offline pauljh

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Engine loosening up time
on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:13 PM
Hi All,

My 2015 CR has about 750 miles on it and has just had it's first service recently.

While talking to one of the Honda salesmen he said the engine would still need to loosen up and would get better and better.

I do find the CR a bit lumpy in terms of fuelling especially first thing  in the morning for the first few miles (although it's not really cold of course). I wondered for those of you that have had new bikes whether you noticed the engine getting better/smoother after a while and what sort of mileage it happens?

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Re: Engine loosening up time
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:28 PM
Not really have about 2000 miles now just enjoy getting it into the vtec zone, only notice lumps at under 3000 revs.

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:02:16 AM
I did just under 60,000 miles on my VFR 800 FiX (pre-VTEC) from new and the engine seemed to improve with age.  Subjectively I would say it loosened up after about 5000 miles, but the process was so slow that you barely notice.  The biggest improvement was sorting out the ropey fuel mapping at low revs by fitting a Power Commander II.  The fuel mapping on the VTEC engines improved substantially post 2006 and should no longer need this assistance, so I'm surprised you are finding it lumpy unless you are spending a lot of time at <2500 rpm.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline esullivan

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2014 VFX800X
  • City / Town: South Ruislip
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:27:29 AM
I just bought a 2014, zero-mile pre-registered model last weekend, although I've already put about 300 miles on it. I find that around 4,000-4,500, the engine seems to hunt a bit, trying to find the right level. It's disconcerting, but I'm learning to avoid that rev range. On my previous bike (an NC700), the "right" rev level was about 4,500, while the CR seems to like it higher.

I also notice the lumpiness first thing in the morning. This morning, I gave it a few minutes to warm up (I usually turn it on and go) and it seemed to help a bit.

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:47:09 AM
That hunting will go as you put miles on it and start to use the whole rev range. It is a very different and more powerful beast than the NC700.

Guessing you got a good deal ( i know I did). Did your come with luggage?

Offline esullivan

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:01:53 PM
Yes, I got a decent deal (£7,000). I bought the touring pack, so it wasn't thrown in for free, but we basically split the cost of the extras by increasing the part-ex value on the NC (which had 34,000 miles on it).

All-in-all I'm happy with the deal and very happy with the new bike. My wife and I do lots of weekend trips (she calls the motorcycle our "getaway machine"), so I needed a bike with more power. The NC was doable, especially when it was just the two of us, but it struggled a bit when we had full top box and panniers.

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:36:11 PM
Whats in the touring Pack? Not heard of that? how far do you travel for a weekend away with the missus? I left her and the kids at home and went to the lake district just after the first service and when run in.

Sounds like you got a very good deal. What colour?

Offline esullivan

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:09:27 PM
*Originally Posted by 54K+ [+]
Whats in the touring Pack? Not heard of that? how far do you travel for a weekend away with the missus? I left her and the kids at home and went to the lake district just after the first service and when run in.

Sounds like you got a very good deal. What colour?

The touring pack includes top box, panniers, taller screen, centre stand and heated grips. I also had R&G crash bungs put on and plan to add a 12v socket under the seat at the 600 mile service. It's matt black.

The wife and I have five kids, but they are all in their 20s now and are mostly independent, so we're free to go off on our own. We've done the Yorkshire Dales, the Lakes District, Scotland and Ireland (the Republic). (I got my motorcycle license in Oct. 2012 and we've been making up for lost time.)

Our longest trip was a 10-day, 1,800 mile trip around Scotland a year-ago May. Our weekend trips are more spur-of-the-moment and not as far a way. We went camping in Bridport, Dorset a couple of weeks ago, for example. All of this was on the NC, with panniers and top box, so we've gotten quite adept at packing light and making do!

The CR is a lot more powerful, but has less storage (no fake tank, for example, and the top box is about half the size of my previous Givi). We'll have to get even better at packing light! We'll be in Ireland, doing the Ring of Kerry and the Ring of Beara, in July. The next challenge is the continent. Maybe next spring.
Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:44:50 AM by esullivan

Offline pauljh

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 09:19:41 PM
Really useful feedback  :002:

I'll certainly give the bike a few minutes to warm up in the morning and make sure to give it exercise right through the rev range. Hopefully in another 1000 miles I'll be enjoying it even more  :046:

Offline Fleng

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 07:21:52 AM
Bought mine in march. Only after 3000 km (2000 mls) the engine was reasonably loose. From that time on fuel consumption went down to what I expected, about 18 km/l (no idea what that is in mls  :002:)

recent