Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Suggestions on 12v power?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline esullivan

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2014 VFX800X
  • City / Town: South Ruislip
Suggestions on 12v power?
on: June 09, 2015, 08:09:57 AM
I have just picked up a 2014 Crossrunner (pre-reg) a couple of weeks ago and I'm slowly getting it accessorized. One thing I had on my last bike (an NC700) was a 12v socket -- the old cigarette-lighter shape. I had it in the NC's fake tank, which was an ideal, waterproof place to recharge the iPhone, etc. I'd like something similar on the CR, but I'm not sure what's the best way to proceed.

One option is to have the dealer install the standard plug under the seat (which I gather is the default place), but it's extremely tight under there. Do others have this and is there any room for the wires or gadgets that you will plug in? Is it generally waterproof under the seat?

If I did this, I would probably plug in a USB/12v adapter and run a wire (possibly with a usb hub at the other end) into a tank bag. I have the SW Motech tankring thingy, but that puts the tank bag way up high. I'm not sure if a wire running from under the seat to the back of the tank bag is very practical, unless I want to hang laundry as well.

Another option is to run a socket into the Honda top box, possibly hooking to the brake light.

Has anyone installed something elsewhere? Maybe on the (weirdly plastic encased) handlebars? Or somewhere else that I'm not thinking of?

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Suggestions on 12v power?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:17:22 AM
I have gone for something straightforward. 

A fused line from the battery to an XT60 connector in a waterproof housing that sits under the seat.  I can connect this to an Optimate if I need to maintain the battery (not so far), or I have an XT60 connector to a 12v socket also stashed under the seat.  This has a stubby dual USB connector permanently fitted and I just run a USB charging line from under the seat to my phone on a RAM mount in a flexible waterproof housing (read purpose built clear plastic bag with a Velcro roll top).

I have replaced the crap Tamiya connectors normally fitted to an Optimate as I have found them to be very unreliable.  XT60s are designed for high current model aircraft and cars and are way, way better.  They need soldering on, but are a cheap and easy replacement and always give a good connection.
Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:22:13 AM by Si Click
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

* Recent Topics

recent