Recent Gallery Images

cleaned for winter

Views: 52
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Accessories  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Trol

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
Accessories
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
Just tested a Crossrunner and came out convinced enough to consider trading in a couple of bikes for this Honda, come spring. There are a few issues though and I hope Honda and/or accessory makers address them soon. The engine and ride swayed me towards it anyway, but for full satisfaction:

On first sight, I couldn't stand the look of the clad handlebars - was thinking I was on water, but, in reluctant fairness, I can live with it, but it's a stupid piece of design. If I'm a biker and pay for it I don't need to be looking down thinking I'm on a scooter or some watercraft.

The den between the grips is pure waste and I want it put to good use. Given the advertised purpose of the bike, I and many others will want navigation, a Scottoiler LCD, perhaps a gear gauge (bad omission on the standard display, which on a bike of this nature should be a proper dash anyway). I want a crossbar to mount my additional accessories.

The headlight is a bin item used on the 2007 Hornet. Good enough for town, poor for touring. I want a bracket carrying a pair of good lights making cross-country touring safe.

The side stand is ridiculous for a bike that has 'adventoure' aspirations. Unless Honda was cynical enough to force us to go for the optional centre stand, which, again, should be standard on a bike of this sort and one with chain drive. The standard side stand will see your bike toppling over into hot tarmac or soft ground.

For more serious touring, I'd like to see aftermarket alu panniers and a topcase. And judging by the average price of good ones, they should be no more expensive than the plasticky Honda option.

For good measure, I'd get a proper-looking exhaust can. Sound and decibels are are a personal preference, but the look of current cans (and it's not only Honda), suggest that every 10 Dollars make a difference to Chinese economy.

Great bike - not only for the rider, but also for aftermarket accessory makers. Will make all happy. Just be prepared to invest in accessories to make it what it should have been to start of with.

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
Re: Accessories
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »
Hi trol Taking your points one by one.
Handle bars - I tend to agree not so much about the looks but about the fact that they limit the ability to attach extras
Headlight - If ind the dip beam fine but the main beam certainly could be better
. SW Motech do a set of bars to which extra lights could be fitted
Stand I have had no problem with the side stand. as to centre stands I think that they are left off to keep the basic price down. yes I have fitted one having got a very good price on it from my dealer.
Luggage I have the Honda top box and panniers which seem very robust. They are the same as those that I had fitted to my VFR1200DCT when I dropped it and the luggage suffered only scratches
Every bike that I have ever bought has required me to fit accessories to make it ideal for my needs. It is impossible for any manufacturer to make the bike perfect for everybody as peoples requirements differ
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »
Hi troll.
With regard to your comment on the side stand.... With any bike if you park on soft ground its always advisable to put a puck or something like that under the stand.
I always carry a beer mat sized piece of metal plate with a nylon strap attached so i can put it under the stand and just lift it up when i get on the bike to go.
Paul

Offline xrunjoe

• Crossrunner Master
  • Ex crossrunner owner
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Ex CR owner
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »
I tend to agree with Rocker - part of making your bike individual is what accessories you decide to fit.
Also - I don't think for a minute that this bike really has any "off road/adventure aspirations" apart from the ocassional need to park it in a field. A puck like Shaun says works fine.

I bought with heated grips, c'stand and panniers (don't like top box's) and have added Handguards.
Suzuki GSX650F, 1250F, Crossrunner, Kawasaki Z1000SX

recent