Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Touring Windscreen for the '15  (Read 40693 times)

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X '15
  • City / Town: Lisbon
Touring Windscreen for the '15
on: June 25, 2015, 08:52:48 AM
Hi,

I was on the highway yesterday doing legal speeds (+taxes) and the wind buffeting was a bit more noticeable that the ideal for long highway runs (I'm 1,87m, or 6'1).

Has anyone tried any touring windscreen on the '15 model?

I was looking at this one from Givi (the D1139ST, the link doesn't go all the way) or this one from Puig, which looks great:

There aren't any previews of the Givi's yet.  :084:

The Palmer's adapter looks very bulky, although it's probably cheaper that a new windscreen. But on the other hand, having both the original and a taller one, I can change them thus getting some "adjustability", but not on the fly.

Cheers,
"Only a biker knows why dogs sticks its head out of a car window"

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Re: Touring Windscreen for the '15
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:59:38 PM
not many '15 owners yet and even less who have done mods. hold on it may take some time for some useful feedback.

trevor

Offline Fleng

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:51:19 PM
I am going to test this screen and the Powerbronze one in about 2 weeks. Have to wait until the Powerbronze screen is available in the store. They let me testride them before I buy one, which is a great help.
So a little patience, I will write my findings here.

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:40:36 PM
Hi Fleng, any luck yet?

:007:

Offline Fleng

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:32 PM
Unfortunately not yet. The shop asked for my tel number, so they can call me when the Powerbronze screen is in house. But Powerbronze is not famous for fast deliveries.
I am just hoping that I can test them next week, but no promises  :016:

Offline Fleng

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:45:58 PM
At last, after 4,5 weeks, the Powerbronze flipscreen arrived at the shop so I can testride it and compare it to the Puig screen which they have on stock.
However, this Saturday there is a severe summer storm and rain. Not the weather for a testdrive. I will have to wait another week.
Patience is not one of my best virtues. :023:

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:37 AM

Offline Fleng

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:46:06 AM
Finally got to the testing of the screens.
First of all, I am 1.85 m high, which is average for Dutch people, a bit tall for most others (and giant for Japanese  :001:). Length will of course be a factor when judging windscreens.
The standard Honda screen is too small and low for me. The wind hits my helmet in a very turbulent way, and if I drive in the wake of cars in front of me, I am constantly shaken. Not very pleasant. So I made a temporary change to the screen that worked well enough (I explain at the end of this review), but I really liked a complete replacement.

First the Powerbronze screen.
It is wider at the bottom and longer. The top part is about the same wide as the Honda screen. Fitting was easy, just the four bolts need to be removed and reinstalled with the new screen.
Driving this one makes a big difference compared to the Honda. As the bottom is wider, the air is moved more around your body. As for the height, it did not meet my expectations, as I still got some turbulence hitting my helmet. If I crouched a bit it was less, so my length does play a part.
Pro: fits nicely and helps keeping the wind away if you are not too tall.
Con: delivery times of the screen is very long (4 weeks) outside the UK.

Next the Puig screen. That one is a big one, wide from the bottom to the top. Pictures are at the top of this forum item.
Installation was not as easy, as the holes for the bolts were a bit misaligned, I needed a bit of force to the mounting brackets to get it into position. In the end it is fitted under strain, of which I don’t know if this would last.
Driving this screen was no joy. The buffeting hitting my helmet was severe enough to get a headache soon. I think this I due to the fact that the screen is so large that behind it a low pressure area arises (some people talk about a vacuum, but that is not true, you can still breath behind the screen  :008:).
The lower pressure sucks the airflow over the screen down too soon, resulting it hitting the helmet. Crouching did not help.
I placed an extension airfoil on top of the screen to see if this might help, but it only got worse, proving my theory of the low pressure area. 
Pro: The smoke color screen fits very nice to the mat black of my CR.
Con: Poor fitting, heavy buffeting.

In the end, neither of the two excelled to my temporary solution, so the temp will become my final fitting.
My previous bike was a CrossTourer. I fitted it with a MRA X-creen, a replacement screen with an adjustable spoiler pane on top. The spoiler pane had a manufacturing defect (just an esthetical flaw), so it was replaced with a new one. I could keep the old one.
Now I have that spare mounted on top of the Honda screen with additional clamps and put it in the most upward position. In this way, the air flows over my helmet and I have only minor buffeting. The CR is no scooter or Pan-European, so some wind is expected, as long as it is not annoying. It is not the most beautiful addition to the bike, but I drive it every day. Function is more important that form.
If you like to go this way, buy an MRA CrossTourer spoiler and the clamps.
MRA also sells a separate universal X-creen, but that one is smaller. Don’t know if that will do the trick.

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:43 AM
I don't have '15 but thanks for a really interesting post, I enjoyed it. I think you make a couple of interesting points regarding the vacumn effect and the fact that it's not meant to be a pan eurpoean or scooter (add bmw r80rt to that august list!).
I'm installing a Palmer product adjuster to the puig on my '12 this weekend.
There seems to be no holy grail on this, trial and error rules me thinks.  :047:

Offline Dunarin

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:14:09 PM
I'd be interested in your report on the Palmer reasty. Toying with the idea myself...

Cheers