Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Engine temperature  (Read 4545 times)

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
Engine temperature
on: July 08, 2015, 02:24:42 PM
Just back from Italian Alps where temps reached 40C+ most days. When climbing the cols recorded 111C. I know this is within acceptable limits according to the riders handbook, but it is the highest I've seen so far. Usually 104 has been the peak.
What have others experienced?
2011 bike BTW
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X '15
  • City / Town: Lisbon
Re: Engine temperature
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:08:33 PM
Hi gatesy,

Mine's a 2015 model, which doesn't say the temperature in numbers, only in stacking bars. The normal riding temperature are three bars, and the maximum seems to be six. I've ridden only in 37ÂșC so far, and it never went past the three bars.

Cheers,
"Only a biker knows why dogs sticks its head out of a car window"

Offline yann old git

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2012 crossrunner
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:44:45 PM
My 2012 runs slightly hotter than my last bike (vfr fiy) that one usually showed 77 after a mile or so...(obviously depends on ambients for warm up times etc)
now I am seeing (in this heatwave temp in the uk) ;)  79-80, plus in one traffic jam, blazing sun, I saw 89.
both bikes cut fans in at 104
hth yann

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:29:28 PM
It should not be getting that high.
Have you checked that the fan is cutting in?  The only time I have seen temperatures like that the temp sensor on my VFR 800 FiX had failed and the fan was not being switched on.

If you let the bike idle when stationary the lack of airflow will mean that the temp rises until the fan cuts in at around 104 degrees.  If is does not cut in and the temp climbs as far as 111 degrees then you have a problem.

If you connect a live wire from the bike across the fan and it works then it is probably the sensor that is faulty.  These are cheap and easily replaced (once you have got access by taking the fairings off). Alternatively, you may have lost some fluid taking the water level below the level of the sensor.  Is there any sign of green/blue crystalline deposits around any hoses? If so you may have a slow leak.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline yann old git

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2012 crossrunner
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:39:37 AM
I would run it at idle now (after checking coolant level) make sure fan is cutting in (& out)-there's always the possibility of the fan sensor being duff.
hth yann

Offline Spenze

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:02:04 AM
On a 42C day mine stayed at 104C even when riding at 110kph on the flat freeway.

That had me worried as it's usually sitting at 80C unless I'm stuck in traffic.

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:34:08 PM
I'm not really surprised it reached those temps travelling over mountains in that heat.
Mine sit sat 79 - 80c  unless in traffic when the fan kicks in at 101 - 102c

Offline kiko

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: CR
  • City / Town: Toledo
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:03:21 PM
Hi Gatesy, last Friday 107C had been the peak with temperature around 40C by motorway and 120Km/h (the Hell)

Kiko

Offline gatesy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Tyres down saddle up!
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Le Bosc Renoult
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:00:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Checks reveal that the fan is indeed coming on at 100C and goes off at about 90C. In traffic it can sometimes reach 102C but no more. Normal riding shows between 79 and about 85. The bike has just had a full service at 50K (Kms) and all is ok. I can only think it was lots of 1st gear, two up with luggage.
For info the Riders handbook for the 2011 model states on P.22, Temp display range 35 to 132. High coolant temp warning comes on at 122C(!), above 132C both high temp indicator and warning indicator light '132' flashes.
Seems mighty high to me but then whaen you have a guage you do tend to read it. Maybe a simple red light would be better after all, a la Morris 1000.
Hope this experience adds to the body of knowledge.

Regards to all,
John
Tel; 02 33 35 85 84 for TLC if in trouble or even in the area.
Code postale; 61470

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 03:10:05 PM
*Originally Posted by gatesy [+]
Maybe a simple red light would be better after all, a la Morris 1000.
Hope this experience adds to the body of knowledge.

Regards to all,
John

Hi, I have just bought the 2015 model and that displays a series of stacking blocks rather than a number. Page 22 of my handbook just says "Above 122C High coolant temperature indicator lights 6th (H) segment flashes". That doesn't seem very helpful to me! I hope I never see it as I would not have a clue what to do other than stop the engine and try again when it cooled down a little. It might just as well be a red light I guess.

:087: