Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: IAM  (Read 3375 times)

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
IAM
on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:42 PM
Anybody out there had experience of the institute of advanced motorcyclists?

Worth it?

Fun?

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Re: IAM
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:45:15 PM
Hi

I joined a few years ago at Chelmsford Essex.

I did enjoy the social ride outs to places and events of interest and the assessed rides with feedback on how my riding was developing.

They also had group nights with some interesting talks and visits from police riders and helmet manufacturers etc.

When I took my test I had a bad day, made too many mistakes and didn't pass.

Unfortunately shift work got in the way for me and I wasn't able to get along regularly any more so I eventually gave it up.

It would depend on your local group but I found the Chelmsford group friendly and good fun.

On top of that it did improve my riding even though it didn't come together for me on the test day.

I would say check out your local groups website to see what the social side is like and go along for a visit where you will probably be given an informal assessed ride and find out about how the local group works.

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:26:34 AM
Check if your local group does a tester session, then you can try and see if you like it.

If you local force do a bikesafe day do that, I did one with Surrey police and it was a fantastic day.

Study Roadcraft (Motorcycle version) some forces include a copy if you do bikesafe, this is what IAM is trying to emulate.

Personally I don't like IAM.  Observers! are not instructors, seems to be lots of emphasis on "making progress", it's just another piece of paper (that is only valid as long as you pay IAM every year)

Offline Carlsv8

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 97 Blade +800x
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:37 PM
The I.A.M. is worth doing as it does improve the way you ride and it is not particularly expensive but I agree with the previous post about the Police courses, I did a weekend with the Avon Police and it is without doubt the best money I have ever spent biking. The IAM is like riding with your mother whereas the police courses are about riding to the roads potential in a controlled manner, they cannot be recommended enough, the police riders were marvellous, though mine didn't see the funny side when I critiqued him after he messed up a set of corners.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:54:33 PM
I do get slightly bugged that as an ex police motorcyclist, this is an unrecognised qualification by all insurance cos. whereas IAM gets you a discount.

I know they do specify advanced police motorcyclist, but in actuality there is little difference. (I've done all of the car courses too and there  there really is a difference!)

Back to the topic in hand - any additonal training can only be beneficial  :034:

Offline heathy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR899X
  • City / Town: Rubery
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:14:03 PM
I've ridden for most of my adult live, though did have a break for 20 years, returning to thesaddle four years ago. I signed up with my local group two and a half years ago, passed my test 10 months ago and still ride regularly with them. No matter how good a rider you think you are your riding will improve leaps and bounds if you join the AIM.  You will also learn to ride faster more safely, use less fuel and cause less wear and tear to your bike.  Go on, do it, you will not regret it.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:03:33 PM
Reasty : I can only say yes its a good idea ..I go to KAMG kent advanced motorcycle group ..we have a regular monthly meeting last Thursday of every month at Brands Hatch (7.30 eve) - with speakers and test ride new shop bikes sessions in summer eves ...come along speak to the observers - skills for life - is the course that gets you to test standard , but a free assessment ride is IAM intro offer I believe ...that can be organised / we have regular organised runs monthly too ... basically the learning is excellent , the comradeship even better ..