Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wiring in a tom tom  (Read 2322 times)

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Wiring in a tom tom
on: August 17, 2015, 08:54:33 PM
Looking for some advice people.

The installation instructions on my tom tom rider simply show the  +ve & -ve wires to be connected to the battery.

Is that ok or should there at least be a  fuse in the supply?

If connecting to a switched circuit - where on earth would the best connection be found?

Or am I over thinking it? :419:

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Wiring in a tom tom
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:20 AM
I would definitely add an in-line fuse.

As to whether you need a switched source depends on how you will use it.  If you will need it to be powered and looking for satellites before you turn on the ignition then wire it straight to the battery.  I have a 12v socket wired that way to power my sat nav (phone) and had no issues.  But to avoid any danger of flattening the battery you could wire the positive line through something controlled by the ignition switch such as the headlight.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:12:05 PM
My 2015 had a TomTom rider wired in by the dealer as it comes free with the bike at the moment in the UK.

I have not traced through the wiring myself but the dealer told me it was wired direct to the battery so it could be used whilst the ignition is off and also that it is fused with the fuse being located under the seat near the battery.

I don't see it being wired directly to the battery as a problem as I would not risk leaving the device plugged into it unattended.

I think a relay is more important with things left on the bike when it is not being used like heated grips if they don't switch off automatically like the newer Oxford ones claim to do.

I hope this helps,

Gary

:002:

Offline agumdoo

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:13 AM
When adding electrical accessories I would add a new fuseblock under the seat and use it for all my accessories. With this one you can choose switched or unswithed, live with ignition on or live constant. http://www.nippynormans.com/products/f650stf650csf650gsf650-dakar/item/fuzeblock-switchable-fuse-panel-fuz-fz1
It is expensive but it keeps your wiring neat and safe and can accommodate 6 circuits.