Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hyperpro Suspension  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Hyperpro Suspension
on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:30 AM
It's gonna be hell lot of work just to fix a suspension. Do take note that you need to modify the bracket to mount the adjuster if you have panniers on...  You will need to strip the bike like you would want to see the air box...

I ordered the HO08-1ADSXHHRLO with Hydraulic Pre-load adjuster.

Offline ccuculas

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: bucharest
Re: Hyperpro Suspension
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:36 AM
Wow.  Hope to get feedback back from you soon about how it works.  And how the bike change the riding limits? 

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:59 PM
Did a short bike test the day before. Definitely feels harder. Not much movement when going over uneven roads and those road regulating strips compared to the stock. Now at a dilemma whether to change the front too.

Offline rmurgelj

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 800
  • City / Town: Ljubljana
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:49 PM
Do it.

And then dial in the shock.

You did an excellent buy.

I am sure you will be pleased.

Give a shock 1000 kms to settle down and star work properly.

BR

Rok

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:15:09 AM
So you meant to change the spring or just use a thicker oil?

Offline rmurgelj

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:40 AM
Change the springs.

Original are too soft so they are not able to rebound properly and forks packs down.

To use just thicker oil will not make things any better.

Take hyperpro, so you will have a set.

I have both ends converted with Wilbers and it makes a difference.

But shock needs some tweaking and you will probably have to play with air chamber in forks. I added 10 mm to reccomended oil level.

Br.

Rok

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:37:34 PM
Oh... I see... I was thinking of olins fork spring... Going for linear and not progressive.

Offline rmurgelj

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:35 PM
Ohlins linear I believe are a very good choice. But why would you like to have progressive spring on the shock and linear in the forks.

Probably you have ordered shock which should work inside certain range ( solo or riding up two ), and you received progressive spring on the shock.
If you want fork springs which will correspond different loads, go with progressive.

If you ride alone only ( with some cases ), it would be way better to choose linear spring on the shock, as linkage with swingarm is progressive itself. In this case ohlins linear make great sense.

I firstly changed the fork springs and went for Wilbers progressive. I made a mistake.
Secondly, I ordered a shock, for loads from 90 - 115 kg ( alone, alone with sidecases ), and received a shock with LINEAR spring.
If I would know that before I would insert linear springs in the forks, but I did not know.

Riding up solo: linear fork springs + good shock with linear spring
Riding up with different loads: I think progressive on both sides are best choice.

I ride 99% alone.

BR,

Rok

Offline Tanarthur

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 12:18:15 AM
I too ride alone 99.5% of the time.

So to put it simple. It will be better to have both front and rear springs to be of the same characteristic?

Offline rmurgelj

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:22:11 PM
To keep things simple, linear springs are the only one to provide correct functioning of damping hydraulic.
If chosen ( correct spring rate ) and adjusted correctly ( right preload, of course also damping internals must be on adequate level ), they give best results, predictable behaviour, do not bottom out.

But they are not best for various loads on the bike. And they are stiffer at the start of the stroke and in some cases not so comfortable ( it could be further discussed, I think they are better then progressive ).

This is why Ohlins does not offer progressive springs ( they are able to provide them if asked, but rather not ).

Progressive spring is usually to soft at the start and to stiff at the end, but is able to work well with various loads.
Hydraulic does not work optimally with progressive springs.

For Hyperpro shock you have ( I believe ) manufacturer claims that spring istalled is good for loads between 50 - 150 kg. I think this is not good.

My rear shock has 180 N/mm spring. If I would ride without any luggage it would be 160 - 170N / mm spring.

On my Yamaha I had 18 - 27 N/mm progressive springs. Crap.

To keep it simple, if load on the bike does not change much, then linear springs front and rear give optimum performance.

BR,

Rok