Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Help please ! I need to understand if it's normal ou unsual .  (Read 3278 times)

Offline LWillow

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: CR ('13 model)
  • City / Town: Sobral M. Agraço
Hi,
I recently bought an used  Crossrunner 2012 model . I only rode +/- 350 kms with her and my concerns are about 3 aspects : 1) engine heat  2) consumptions and 3) vibrations .
1) The heat display always shows high temperatures (very easy to reach the 100º )  and I normally feel much heat in my ankles and low parts of the legs.
2) the display that shows the average fuel consumptions never showed average below 14 kms /lt.
3) Usually when the bike accelerates from low or medium speed the I feel the bike vibrating (more than I was expecting )
Are all this issues normal or unsual ? If you think they are unsual , what do you think about them ( I mean , the origin of the problem) ?
Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:21:49 PM by LWillow

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Re: Help please ! I need to understand if it's normal ou unsual .
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:58:23 PM
Hi I have the 2015 model so am not familiar with your particular version but the symptoms you describe do sound worrying.

The fuel economy sounds a bit low and and although I would expect some vibration under hard acceleration if it is excessive I would get it checked out.

I get around 45 mpg (about 6.3 litres per 100 km) under fairly hard riding and over 50 mpg if pottering around at low revs.

As a first step I would check the coolant and oil levels and also that the cooling fans are working if it has them.

It may be worth pointing out your concerns to the dealer you purchased the bike from or if you bought it privately have it assessed professionally.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Gary

:002:
Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:01:43 PM by Greenie

Offline LWillow

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: CR ('13 model)
  • City / Town: Sobral M. Agraço
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:46:54 PM
I've checked the coolant and oil levels . The coolant liquid is medium (between low and high)  but  the dealership mechanic put the oil level  above maximum !! Is there a problem running the bike with more oil than what is needed ?

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:12:33 PM
It can be a problem on some bikes but I don't know for certain.

There was a report of one of the new Crossrunners having an engine blow which was initially suspected to be due to the dealer putting too much oil in.

See the post by Woody1979 in the thread Engine problem started by Majin on this forum.

I don't know what the outcome of this was though as apparently even though they gave him a replacement bike they would not give him any information as to what had caused the problem.

Personally I would be inclined to get the level right if you can.

:002:

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X '15
  • City / Town: Lisbon
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:33:15 PM
I guess if there is a maximum level for oil it should be respected as much as the minimum oil level.

My father blew an engine due to having too much oil, but it was a car though. The oil started leaking into the admission, and the car entered a frenetic acceleration which was not stopped even with the removal of the car key.The oil was fuelling the engine, even though there was no diesel going into it. He didn't remebered to stick it to top gear and hit the brakes, which would had stalled the engine, so he just kept it in neutral (car stopped) until the engine blew out due to extreme overheating, with black some bursting out from under the hood. The result was an engine meltdown and two pistons fused into the block.

In the case of motorcycles I don't know if the same applies, but I really wouldn't want to figure it out myself.

:031: Cheers
Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:37:33 PM by Chilled
"Only a biker knows why dogs sticks its head out of a car window"

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:45 PM
A diesel will run on engine oil as it uses compression ignition, but a petrol engine with spark plugs will not.  There is no chance of destroying a VFR engine this way.  If you do overfill it by mistake then just drain some out of the sump.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:13:09 PM
Have the throttle bodies balanced.