Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2015 Crossrunner LED Headlight too bright?  (Read 5747 times)

Offline aibrookes

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Wigan
2015 Crossrunner LED Headlight too bright?
on: October 05, 2015, 01:25:44 PM
Driving down country lanes recently in the dark for the first time on dipped beam my visibility was good but most of the oncoming traffic kept flashing me as if to say I was dazzling them.
Has anybody else had this issue with the 2015 model?
Andy

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Re: 2015 Crossrunner LED Headlight too bright?
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:35:22 PM
Yes

But easy to adjust with the knob behind the light. I have mine as low as it goes and it is still better to see with than any other bike I have owned.

I ride a lot in the dark (shift worker) and still occasionally get the odd flash because when you accelerate the front of the bike goes up and raises the beam or sometimes uneven road surfaces can give the same effect.

You can't please everyone though and I still feel safer both seeing well and being seen.

:001:

Offline Chilled

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X '15
  • City / Town: Lisbon
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:56 PM
Yes same here. I had to stop while commig back home because all of the oncoming traffic where protesting, and even the cars that rode in front of me were being dazzled. It was the first time I rode at night. Now it still ocurrs, but so very less frequently.

yes the bike's headlights are in reality a fusion reaction, just like the sun.   :062:
"Only a biker knows why dogs sticks its head out of a car window"

Offline interceptor

• Non Active
  • Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR 800 X Y2015
  • City / Town: Madrid
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:29:02 AM
The headlights are really bright but I find they have a "blind area".
Let's see if I can explain: (see four pictures attached)
The first two show the light beam of my Yamaha scooter (Xmax) projected to the garage wall at 5 meters distance and then at about 8 meters distance.
The second set of pictures are the same but from the 2015 Crossrunner.
(Same illumination conditions for both sets of pics)
The beam from the Xmax illuminates a large portion of the floor in front of the bike before reaching the wall.
The beam from the Crossrunner leaves a completely dark area in front of the bike and then a very narrow illuminated area.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I have checked with other Spaniard members of the VFR club and some have also noticed!!
The test Crossrunner at the dealer did the same and they say it's "normal".
I don't quite see it as so normal.
If some one else has noticed, let's get in touch, I would like to get a solution from Honda!!

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:24 PM
Hi

You are right I also have noticed a bit less light close to the bike but I have not found it a problem even though I do a lot of miles on dark unlit roads.

I tend to try to look well ahead including the road surface though and keep speed down a bit so I am confident I will not come across any unexpected hazards that close to me.

Generally I find the illumination in the mid to far distance excellent and also use high beam wherever there is an opurtunity to do so to improve even it even more.

My feeling is that if anything appeared that close to the bike and I had not already taken account of in my riding plan I probably would not have the time or skills to avoid it anyway.

Having discussed led lights with other people the most common comments I have heard are that led lights although giving a good bright light tend not to give as wide a spread as more conventional bulbs.

I doubt that Honda would see this as a fault though as opposed to a characteristic of led lights.

Have you considered fitting auxiliary lights to improve close up illumination. There seem to be quite a few available on eBay although I am not sure where exactly they could be mounted unless you have crash bars of fashion some sort of bracket yourself. Honda show some in their accessories brochure attached to their own crash bars but do not list prices unfortunately.

Let us know how you get on.

:002:

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:24:12 PM
I found this picture of the Honda auxiliary lights.

Look good but probably costly!

Offline interceptor

• Non Active
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 02:28:41 PM
Earlier today ...

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 03:39:51 PM
Oh sorry mate, I didn't realise you already had them fitted.

Do they not help much then?

Offline interceptor

• Non Active
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:20:02 PM
Theta do help some, but supposedly these are fog lights and not to be used without fog :(

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:49:07 PM
Oh that's a pain but I wouldn't have thought using them would be a problem if they were angled down enough so as not to blind oncoming vehicles.

I guess it would depend on the attitude of the local police as to wether you would run into legal problems though. I doubt they would worry here in the UK if they were aimed appropriately and used where there was no street lighting.

Good luck if you do decide to approach Honda about the blind spot. I am sure we would all be interested to hear what they have to say about it.