Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Checking Rear Pad wear and adjusting chain on CR2015  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Checking Rear Pad wear and adjusting chain on CR2015
on: October 21, 2015, 11:45:00 AM
Ok I'm a long way from needing to worry ...but Just looked at the back wheel / swing arm etc on my CR with a bit more critical eye ...how the hell do you see rear pad wear ? you are going to need to remove the caliper or would a mirror and strong light do the trick ? its tucked in so neatly within the wheel and behind the swing arm you cannot just take a peak ?
and as for the chain adjust .... needs a special tool ? get dealer to adjust says book ? .... are they having a laugh ?

Online stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Checking Rear Pad wear and adjusting chain on CR2015
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:28:39 PM
To adjust chain you just need the C spanner supplied with the bike and a torque wrench, its quite simple to do, the hard part is deciding how much slack there should be as bits of the swingarm get in the way when trying to measure 30mm  movement.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:00:00 PM
thanks Stubax ..I realised that was probably the tool .. as you say its a bit shrouded ... but I do like the look of that swing arm ..

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:01:46 PM
I took the rear wheel off to get a new tyre on the wife's CR, I checked the brake wear then.
Got the Big service due over the winter so will put new pads in then, I'm just debating whether to tackle the valve clearance check myself or get the man at Honda to do it, I'm just not keen to spend £500+ on a service. An absolutely ludicrous amount of money in my modest opinion.
I asked the Honda dealer if I got a video of the procedure and got the death stare, Jury is still out at the moment.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:36:06 PM
what kind of mileage do you guys get on stock rear pads I've had comments varying between 6k and 11k ... ?
must admit not looking forward to when the day comes for the valve clearance check ... that looks like an expensive dealer trip ...

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:27 PM
The wifes bike has 15.5K miles and they will see out the mileage to the service at 16K.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 09:20:31 PM
It's a "long as a piece of string " question .. I like to use back brake to hold up bike at lights etc ..so probably use rear pads more than some .....we shall see...