Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Honda Hugger & Running In  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Mr Kean

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: East Anglia
Honda Hugger & Running In
on: December 06, 2015, 07:11:29 PM
Hi all

Well I put a deposit down and hope to collect it during the week ahead, bye bye BMW.

I'm considering the Honda hugger; a good move?  I'd be grateful for your views.

Also running in, how did you do it for this engine?

Thanks

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Re: Honda Hugger & Running In
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
I fitted an aftermarket hugger to my '12. I cannot fathom why it's not an original part other than another way of Mr H generating more income.
I'm a fair weather rider but on the occasions I've been caught out the amount of crud collected is huge.
I'd suggest go for it

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:13:10 PM
Yep, get a hugger.
As for running in, bear in mind it will have been run up to speed on a dyno at the factory, I use the aircraft method, 3/4 throttle, 3/4 revs. Just put a few miles on it before using the extra horses when the Vtec operates, don't labour the engine.
Other opinions are available and will probably appear shortly  :016:

Online stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:56 AM
I was told by the dealer to keep the revs below 6k for the first 600 miles with no snapping the throttle open closed suddenly. This advice was double the mileage quoted in the handbook.

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:54:46 AM
My dealer said they don't need running in nowadays.

I was a bit nervous about that so stayed shy of the Vtec for the first 300 miles or so then built up the revs by around 1000 rpm per hundred miles.

I was careful not to accelerate too hard or labour the engine until I had done about a thousand miles then rode it as normal.

In my opinion the engine does need to be put under some strain by moderate acceleration though, in order to bed things in nicely. Just avoid whacking the throttle open too hard at first.

Mine seems to run great with no rattles and as noted by others in the fuel economy threads starting to loosen up nicely now it is over the thousand mile mark.

:001:

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • City / Town: Guildford
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:52:18 PM
Well done sir,  :047:

is it a new bike and if new, will yours come with the extras i.e. Akrapovic, centre stand, heated grips, etc? What colour?

I ran mine in up to 600 mile service, with caution and care, (as per the other guys have said) thereafter steadily increased the rpm and speed accordingly, I want this baby to last a good few years.

I fitted the Honda hugger at about £80, well worth the money but it doesn't keep all the crud off, but better than without, (easily fitted yourself) or get the dealer to pop it on before you pick her up.
A front fender extender is also worth fitting as the lower radiator is susceptible to all the wheel can throw at it. I got a real carbon fibre one off fleabay at £20 delivered, all the way from Spain. Easy fit.

Offline Mr Kean

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: East Anglia
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:46 PM
Yep all the extras and panniers thrown in too; it's December ;-)

Colour is white.

My last few brand new bikes I have put about 150 steady miles them. I then drop the running in oil out and fill with synthetic and progressively become more hard with my treatment. I have a couple of times dropped the oil again and refilled with fresh before the 600 mile service. That's two oil changes before the first service. I'm always amazed at how quickly fresh oil dirties up in these early stages. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky but the engines always seem good and feel smooth.

Offline Ben

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Ben
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:45 PM
Hiya

I also fitted the Honda Hugger and does keep a lot of crud off the Bike, but not all.  Well worth having I have found and only took me 5 mins to fit.

I have also fitter R & G Bar end sliders, which were easy to fit and give some peace of mind.

Similar to the other guys, I was told 700 Miles below 6000, then first service and off you go as quick as you like.