Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Panniers and locks  (Read 2679 times)

Offline pwoolleyd

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swindon
Panniers and locks
on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:56 PM
Hi All

I acquired a set of genuine Honda panniers but found out that there are two different types to the locks. Seems the panniers I've got have an older type of lock and my 2015 key will not fit - too wide to go into the slot. Went to my dealer and the mechanic said to just remove the old barrels and replace with the new type which will house the new "wider" type cylinder. Ordered two on Saturday, got home and thought I'll try what he said, lucky I had a spare "new" type barrel from my 45l top box. Dismantled the pannier and removed the barrel lock only to discover that the new type is too wide to fit in the hole for the lock, called dealer to cancel order.

Don't suppose anyone on this forum would have an older (thinner) type key lying around that is no longer used? I've come to the conclusion that this now is my only option, to run with two different keys.

Part number for the two locks: New wider type - 08M71-MJE-D01 and older thinner type - 08L55-MGE-800Y1

Panniers look the dogs bollocks on the 2015 Crossrunner :-)

Cheers in advance.
Pete

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X,VFR750FV
  • City / Town: London
Re: Panniers and locks
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:28:29 PM
You've just partially answered a question for me!

I'm just about to collect my new 2015 model on 1st March and was wondering whether to keep the old panniers or let them go with the old bike. As they cost so much to buy, I'm reluctant to let them go for free!
I take it that the earlier type panniers mount straight on to the 2015 pannier mounts? Did you need any additional fittings?
Cheers.

Offline pwoolleyd

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:35:35 PM
The panniers I got are the same as the one's that fit on the VFR 1200, only the 2015 X key wouldn't fit the barrel supplied. I managed to convince my local Honda dealer to give me a key that was lying around the workshop, made two duplicates (with no chips in them) and all good now, just have to carry two keys when panniers are on the bike. No additional fitting were needed clipped straight on, with the little rubber bungs on the rear hangers.

Pity you let the old bike go with the panniers as they most likely would fit the 2015.

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 05:41:42 PM
*Originally Posted by pwoolleyd [+]
The panniers I got are the same as the one's that fit on the VFR 1200, only the 2015 X key wouldn't fit the barrel supplied. I managed to convince my local Honda dealer to give me a key that was lying around the workshop, made two duplicates (with no chips in them) and all good now, just have to carry two keys when panniers are on the bike. No additional fitting were needed clipped straight on, with the little rubber bungs on the rear hangers.

Pity you let the old bike go with the panniers as they most likely would fit the 2015.

Haven't let them or the bike go till next Monday.
I noticed that the early CR footrest pannier mounts have a rubber mount, but the 2015 doesn't appear to have it?

Offline pwoolleyd

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:09:01 PM
The rubber mounts are removable, got a little screw on the inside, think it's an allen key. Keep the panniers if you can - £700 plus is a lot of money. All you need to do is go to a locksmith and get a blank made of your key, no one will be any wiser. You won't be able to start the old bike as you wont have the chip.

Offline mrvelcrofast

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:18:37 PM
*Originally Posted by pwoolleyd [+]
The rubber mounts are removable, got a little screw on the inside, think it's an allen key. Keep the panniers if you can - £700 plus is a lot of money. All you need to do is go to a locksmith and get a blank made of your key, no one will be any wiser. You won't be able to start the old bike as you wont have the chip.
Good thinking! Another thing on my 'to-do' list.
Cheers.

recent