Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Jan ride out  (Read 4361 times)

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Jan ride out
on: January 23, 2016, 03:26:47 PM
As it was forecast no rain today I  took the opportunity to have a decent ride, unusual for me as I used to be fair weather only but since getting the cr last jan I'm trying to do a lot more.
Just over  a 100 miles in Kent and East Sussex with lunch at the route 1066 bikers cafe on the A21.
1st time out with the hyperpro fork springs - what a difference, particularly over rutted frost damaged roads. I used to brace myself when coming up to an obvious big trench across the road but today was totally different, the front end feels so much more planted.
Also used a a pair of Richa arctic gloves. I normally wear summer weight mitts all year round but with onset of middle age found I needed something better, ride mag classed them as best buy and it's a good recommendation IMHO. Not bulky and good cuff coverage makes them ideal.
Only downside today is the crud now caked over the bike!
 :154:

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Re: Jan ride out
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:24:55 AM
Well done reasty, sounds like you had fun. I must admit I'll be looking at my front end in the spring as she is a tad harsh over rough stuff so may consider those spring replacements.
I've covered my bike in ACF50 spray, the salt/grit crap they spread round here is no joke for the bike, was out on mine a few days ago and although she's a white paint job, now the whole bike is white with crud. It'll stay covered in the protective stuff until the weather improves.

I'm off to Llangynog, Powys the end of this week to attend a days riding with Mick Extance off-road enduro experience. Just over 200 miles each way, staying there two nights, so will be a good test of my bike and gear, hoping at least the rain holds off for the run each way. Not too bothered about the weather on the off-road day as they supply everything including the bike, a Kawasaki KLX 250/450, all riding gear and lunch!  :190: :116:
Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:01:19 AM by tiggy

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:36:37 PM
It's strange, I cleaned the bike this morning and discovered nothing had dried on it - even on the exhaust. Everything was just covered in what I can only describe as slime! Yesterday was very misty a lot of moisture in the air soaking the jacket but no rain. I noticed that the front brake lost it's bite latterly on the ride and sure enough the discs, naturally we're covered in it, never had this before. When it's been  chucking down it just gets dirty - not slimy!
Let us know how your off road trip pans out.
 :306:

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:23 PM
Yuk, yes I know how difficult its to clean off and agree it clings on like slime. I don't think it is just rock salt we get here in this part of Surrey, it's a chemical mix and really attacks the aluminium if not treated, they seem to spread the stuff along our road twice as often as anywhere else (think a councillor lives nearby)

I cover everything in ACF50 (not the brakes!) before they spread any salt/mix and then use Muc-Off cleaner in the spring, after all the road crap stuff is washed away. Muc-Off seems to clean off the ACF and crud well in one good session.
I rarely use the ACF through the summer months, just a good car solution wash off keep the bikes clean, then do all the ACF spraying again for the winter months.

Yep will do, I'll probably have a job getting back on the CR after a day thrashing around them there Welsh hills and valleys! :159:

Would you be up for a meet with some of the other guys in the South East in a couple of months?

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:52:46 PM
Read quite a bit about the acf all positive, I think I'll give it a go. I read somewhere in one of the mags about someone who cleans the bike and applies a mist of it to ensure it gets into all the nooks and crannies but imagine a DIY application is fairly straightforward?
Defo up for a meet in the spring.
Stay dry !
 :031:

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:48:02 PM
ACF50 is expensive for sure, cheaper if you buy a refill bottle and spray applicator, got mine from Dobles about £32, I applied it in all the nooks, etc. goes a long way but worth it as it really does work. There are companies that'll do it for you, but easy diy.
A meet would be great to swap ideas, find out about our personalisation and stuff and compare our bikes, I'm not an organiser, but somewhere like Boxhill or the Ace cafe or let's see who would be up for it and get a consensus of where we all live and decide a place to meet, perhaps April or May? South and South East for a start, the guys up North could do their own.
Probably need to post on the meeting section of the forum. :152:

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:08:46 PM
Up for a ride out .definately ... Or meet at New lands corner? ..off to Japan end of March otherwise ..whenever ...
ACF50 ..advocate as well.. I use bulk liquid in a paraffin sprayer ( Clarkes paraffin gun from Machine Mart) on a compressor to get fine spray ..so far used v little of my .95 litre bottle and applied 3x so far ..otherwise the franchise wash n treat guys are www.allyearbiker.co.uk ...65 quid around.. For full clean And acf50  treat..

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 03:47:15 PM
Hey Adst,
I'm definitely up for a meet, it would be good to put faces to names, with some of the other riders on here.
Newlands Corner is 10 mins up the road from me, but anywhere fairly central, to the majority of those in favour of a meet. I'm happy to meet anyone, wherever or whenever they choose (South/South East).
Looking at the Members Map, not too many have pinned their location, so it means looking at potential members profiles, within a reasonable distance, who would be willing for a meet and deciding a suitable day.
Perhaps we should start a new thread on the Events, Meetings and Ride Outs section?

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:02 PM
*Originally Posted by reasty [+]
Read quite a bit about the acf all positive, I think I'll give it a go. I read somewhere in one of the mags about someone who cleans the bike and applies a mist of it to ensure it gets into all the nooks and crannies but imagine a DIY application is fairly straightforward?
Defo up for a meet in the spring.
Stay dry !
 :031:

The ACF50 treatment is done by Allyearbiker. Prices vary depending upon where and how many bikes are being done. If you have enough they will come to you. They give bike a thorough deep clean, treat with ACF50 and then shine everything up. Well worth the money (between £40 - 60). Will last 6 months and all you need to do is rinse bike off after a ride to remove the worst muck, or you can just leave it.....
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

VFR800X, NC700X and CB650F.

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 07:41:45 PM
How long you off to japan for adst?

Where is Newlands Corner?

* Recent Topics

recent