Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New Metzeler Roadtec 01  (Read 14302 times)

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Camberley
New Metzeler Roadtec 01
on: February 10, 2016, 01:38:27 PM
Hi All

Just a heads up that I've been asked to test some of the new Metzeler Roadtec 01's which Metzeler are pitching as a PR4 competitor.  It came out of a discussion on another forum site and part of the deal was to keep people there updated.  As this is on my 2015 Crossrunner I thought that it might be of interest to you guys too.

As a bit of background my last 20,000 miles have been done on various versions of Michelin Pilot Road tyres.  I commute 70 miles a day in most weathers so wet grip, stability and tyre life are the most important things to me.  The journey varies from fast A road to motorway to central London filtering so hopefully it will be a good test for the tyres.

I got a call from my local tyre place (Merityre in Bagshot - excellent people there) on Wednesday to say that the new Metzelers had arrived. I was delighted as after a week and a half of commuting on the OE Pirelli Scorpions that came with the Crossrunner I'd had enough of them even though they were only 1000 miles old. They're fine in the dry but far from confidence inspiring in the wet and there's been plenty of wet recently.

A quick look at the Scorpion alongside a PR4:

The Scorpions are 1200 miles old and while I'm sure they're ok the compromise that was made to make them look a bit off-roadish has meant that they feel vague (to me anyway) in the wet. So I was going to get shot of them even before this opportunity with Metzeler came up.  I had planned to fit Michelin Pilot Road 4s (which is why I have a new front handy at the moment).

It's worth mentioning that the Michelins are my benchmark tyre. They've been so good that I haven't felt the need to put anything else on my bike.

Here's the Metzeler Roadtec fitted:

If there's any interest then once I've worn them in a bit I'll update this thread with how I'm getting on.

Offline jan1195xx

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Re: New Metzeler Roadtec 01
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:49:28 PM
I ride the second set of Metzelers M7RR, but the next will be the Roadtec 01. Let us know how they feel on the CR. My CR is the old one from 2012.

Jan

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • City / Town: Guildford
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:22:37 PM
Thanks Slaine,

yes would be good to be kept informed of how the rubber handles, I agree the Scorpions don't me inspire me in the wet either.

Rob

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:01:15 PM
Hey Jan - not so much the old one - more like mark 1 classique? :008:

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:14 PM
I'd planned on leaving it a bit longer but I was asked for an update on the other forum so here are my first impressions:

So far they've been very good.

The difference between the Scorpions and the Roadtecs really is night and day. My issue was always that the front was a bit vague and that generally I had no feel. Then in the wet you add that feeling to a general lack of grip (little slips, white lining etc) and I really wanted to get rid of them.

The Roadtec's are a proper modern tyre and I can basically ignore them and ride. They feel solid and planted in corners and they don't have that high profile that means on some tyres that you almost feel a tipping sensation as you drop into corners. Instead they're progressive and inspire confidence.

They warm up pretty quickly and within a mile you can feel the difference.

In the wet they inspire much more confidence. I'll withold judgement yet as to whether they're as good as the PR3/4s as I've only had them on for a few miles but in greasy, damp conditions they've felt good and importantly provide feedback.

As an example, coming off the M25 on to the M3 there is a nice fast corner that is very exposed and in the wet the old Scorpions were awful. I literally had no idea where the limit was or if I was remotely close to it (unlikely by the way!). The new tyres in greasy horrid conditions were 10mph faster through there all the while letting me know how much grip I had.

After a few more weeks I'll have a better handle on whether they're as good or better than the PRs but my gut feel at the moment is that they'd be difficult to separate.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10:30 PM
great hearing your thoughts and appraisal of the roadtec 01 and the favourable comparison to Road pilot
I rode pilot 4 trails on a previous bike and they were excellent other than for duration ... if the metzelers are as good or better its great knowledge .
I agree the scorpions skip in the wet when pushing on and angled over ... first time I was not expecting it and it was squeeky cheeks for a second!
keep your thoughts coming in and updated ... much appreciated

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:19 PM
Yes

Cheers for that.

Sounds like changing the stock tyres is a worthwhile investment if they feel that much better!

:152:

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:06:58 AM
I think it depends on how much all weather riding you do but for me it's a no-brainer. We'll see how well the tyres last before I can recommend them over the PR4s but that will take a few months.

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 08:38:38 PM
Just a quick update:

The tyres continue to be solid - the highest praise is that I just don't notice them for the most part. I've tried to be picky and remember poor moments and to be honest there's only been one that I remember, and that was in really poor conditions, really cold, slippy and I think any tyre would have struggled.

Outside that as the roads have dried I've been getting more confident with the bike and the tyres and I don't feel any lack of trust or feel.

The only thing that I noticeably prefer about the PR4s is that I think they warm up quicker, but that's not by much.

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:16 PM
With some proper dry miles done on them they continue to impress and I think that there are two clear differences between these and the PR4s.

The R01 seems to be a sportier tyre. It really  feels great when banked over and is still good in the wet. So if you're a faster sportier rider then these will probably  feel better.

Secondly, after 3500 miles they are showing  small signs of squaring off. I sincerely doubt that I will get the same mileage out of the Metzeler as the Michelin.

I'll update again when I have to change the rear  (probably 2-3 months from now).

recent