Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Loose seat  (Read 7414 times)

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Loose seat
on: February 14, 2016, 04:19:13 PM
Having just raised the rider's seat to the higher position I find the passenger seat, when locked into place, is now very loose at the front - much lateral movement! I can't see what I'm doing wrong, and I don't recall whether it was this loose prior to raising the other one... is this perfectly normal and I'd just not noticed before?
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Re: Loose seat
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:27:35 PM
2015? Raise the plate and  screws at back of seat as per the manual and  and replace 3 blocks at front .. Two either side and one in middle near the bracket seat fastens under..
When I was supplied with bike seat was lowered and I he bolt in blocks at front weren't there ...had to request them and they were duly supplied thereafter...cannot see why the back seat should be affected? Unless the bracket isn't correct ?

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:42:05 PM
 You asked is it normal to move ..no it isnt

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:33:09 PM
Ok, thanks  :028:
I must've upset something when I put it back.. I'll double check in the morning.
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:46:41 AM
So the passenger seat is still loose when the rider seat is set to the higher position.. I really don't see how this can be cured.

However, I've noticed that the rider's seat slopes downwards at the front, making me wonder whether it's set correctly. When I first sat on a CrossRunner, I couldn't quite set both feet flat on the floor, yet on mine I can do this comfortably... So I guess that bike had the seat set in the high position, and mine isn't quite right somehow. I've set the rear preload to be higher than standard, so that seems an unlikely explanation.

Reading the manual on this topic doesn't really help either. The rear bracket is certainly in the correct position, and as far as I can tell I have all the blocks in place too... Que?!?
Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:39:17 PM by v8guy

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:49 PM
If as you say the front seat slopes down to the front (tank) are you resting the seat prong on top of the front clip mechanism as should be .. or jamming under the block and clip somehow ( as in lower seat option with block removed )?
otherwise the back bracket looks correct   to me ...weird .......... I cannot help further as mine is in lower position ... ( with a big lambs fleece seat cover on it looks like a wooly mammoth? but comfy and warm) perhaps one of the others on here with it in higher position can suggest what's wrong???? otherwise a friendly dealer?

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Adst [+]
If as you say the front seat slopes down to the front (tank) are you resting the seat prong on top of the front clip mechanism as should be .. or jamming under the block and clip somehow ( as in lower seat option with block removed )?
The plastic part of the seat is wedged between the block and the steel bar.. I don't see any other way of securing the seat. But yeah, there's a definite slope now.. and I slide up to the tank whilst riding in a way that just didn't happen as it was set previously.
That said, previously the rear brackets were set in the lower position, with all three blocks in place up front. The seat was quite flat like that, and the rear seat didn't move at all!
I'll have to drop into the dealer at some point and examine the shiny new one they have in the showroom.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 03:05:28 PM
try resting the Front seat with seat prong  on the bar not jamming under - thats how the diagram shows it should be (although I admit it seems there is no catch that way) then the "front side stays" by the bar ...jam into a locator in seat  lower than the the prong...?

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:46:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Adst [+]
try resting the Front seat with seat prong  on the bar not jamming under - thats how the diagram shows it should be (although I admit it seems there is no catch that way) then the "front side stays" by the bar ...jam into a locator in seat  lower than the the prong...?
Aye, I tried resting it like that.. certainly looked to be flatter and higher, but the seat was loose at the front, and the rear bolt holes didn't want to align with the threads on the sub-frame at all.

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:13:53 PM
Hi

The seat is definitely supposed to sit on top of the prong when in the high position and not fit into it as you would expect.

It seems counter intuitive I know but it is shown in diagrams in the user manual.

I now have mine in the low position so it is set within the prong as it is shown it should be in the user manual for that seat setting.

There definitely seems to be a bit less movement in the front seat now than there was when I received the bike with the seat in the high position and resting on the prong from the dealer, but I don't think it was so bad when I rode it home as to move about when riding it even then.

Might be worth popping into your dealer to have it checked out if you are not happy with the security of the seat.

:002:
Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:15:33 PM by Greenie

recent