Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Seeking some advice  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Oldteach

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Katanning
Seeking some advice
on: February 19, 2016, 07:05:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am currently riding a 2010 Vstrom 650 and have been smitten with the look of the 2010-2013 Crossrunner. I have checked all the stats on the bike and am really looking forward to a test ride in a couple of weeks. I would like to ask though has here had experience with a Vstrom and the Crossrunner, mainly concerning the amount of leg room, being 6'4 and having minor hip pain. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Oldteach

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Re: Seeking some advice
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:13 PM
I rode a vstrom 650 glee from 2012 to 2015 ..enjoyed it
Can try and answer questions for you but being 5:10 not the one on legroom ! I ride my 2015 CR on a lowered seat setting ..and had the dl650 with both a higher padded seat mod or standard .. I reckon I feel less cramped on the CR  and a better leg position ..have you looked at the ergonomics app? Check out my posts I put a link on it somewhere in the past ..and you can compare the 2 bikes with alteration put in your height etc ..if you cannot find it I will post another link ..here it is ..  http://cycle-ergo.com/
Ask away ..friendly bunch on here ..
Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:28:18 PM by Adst

Offline Oldteach

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Katanning
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:27:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Adst [+]
I rode a vstrom 650 glee from 2012 to 2015 ..enjoyed it
Can try and answer questions for you but being 5:10 not the one on legroom ! I ride my 2015 CR on a lowered seat setting ..and had the dl650 with both a higher padded seat mod or standard .. I reckon I feel less cramped on the CR  and a better leg position ..have you looked at the ergonomics app? Check out my posts I put a link on it somewhere in the past ..and you can compare the 2 bikes with alteration put in your height etc ..if you cannot find it I will post another link ..
Ask away ..friendly bunch on here ..

Thanks for that. I did have a gander at the ergonomics website, made some adjustments (airhawk, lowering pegs a little), the angles can pretty close to the Vstrom which is promising. The knees appear slightly more bent on the Crossrunner which reduces the stress on the hip a little.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:29:41 PM
Great ..Think  fvthe 2013 CR is more cramped than the 2015 but others may tell you more .....try it and see

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 12:19:40 PM
Hi old teach, I've got the mk 1 and having sat on the mk2 (but not ridden) I would say the mk1 definitely gives a greater knee bend. It feels very similar to my old pre vetch vfr 800.
The other thing to remember is that there appears to be a number of aftermarket pegs available to change the position if needed. I've no doubt though that it would probably open up another large can of worms!
 :400:

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 02:16:05 PM
The early CR had a frame/footpeg configuration pretty much unchanged from the VFR800 VTEC that it was developed from.  The resulting sports tourer leg ergonomics can therefore feel cramped when compared to other adventure styled bikes.  At 5'6'' it works well for me, but you will want to take a longish test ride to check that the position does not become uncomfortable for your longer legs.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Black Jack

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:31:37 AM
Although I have never ridden the Vstrom, I have owned both versions of the MkI Crossrunner - the original model and the slightly altered 'Camo' version. The first model had, as Si Click pointed out, essentially the same seat/foot-peg configuration as the VFR800 from which it was derived. The 'Camo' has foot-pegs slightly lower and forward of this - as a result, it seems to me, of continued press criticism rather than actual rider complaints. The side-stand is slightly modified to accommodate the new rests and the seat has a more textured finish (the first one was a bit shiny).

On either version you are essentially riding the VFR800 Sports Tourer, but with higher bars. I really like this riding position and, in fact, having had at least a test ride on the MkII 2015 model, prefer the MkI version. Being 5ft 8ins I am unlikely to feel cramped on the bike. The only way to be sure is to check for yourself. Try to get a test-ride, or at least get to sit on the bike.

More recently I have noticed that although now riding the 'Camo' version, I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the rests, which puts my legs into exactly the same 'tucked' position they were in on the 2012 version. Keep thinking Sports Tourer with higher bars. Honda's promotion of the Crossrunner as an Adventure bike did the Crossrunner no favours at all. It's a great road bike. Pulls like a 'V Twin' - goes like an 'Inline Four'. It is an excellent medium sized tourer, but the VTEC gives you a similar performance range as the CB1000.

Offline Carlsv8

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 97 Blade +800x
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:25:01 AM
Easy way to tell between a Mk. 1 and a Mk 1.5 (cannot think of a better title ) is to look at the footpegs, if the peg is at the rear of a hollowed out triangle , it is a 1, if the attachment to the frame is solid , it is a 1.5 . Lots of 1s, including some camo. models, were registered late.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Offline Black Jack

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
'Easy way to tell between a Mk. 1 and a Mk 1.5 (cannot think of a better title ) is to look at the footpegs'

There isn't a better title - Mk1.5 it is.

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:02:00 PM
Really enjoying this thread! Mines a 1.0 - on the 1.5 how is the geometry to the gear lever affected as it looks fairly short as is?