Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Africa twin price  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Carlsv8

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 97 Blade +800x
  • City / Town: Durham
Africa twin price
on: February 21, 2016, 11:34:45 AM
Does anyone else think that the price of the new Africa Twin, £200 more than a Crossrunner, is going to dent the sales of the Crossrunner ? I know they are a different type of bike but both are classed as Adventure bikes and one is completely new, up to the minute technology. No you don't get a Topbox etc. but these accessories are a justification of the price difference between the  X'runner and the Tracer (IMO) and cost Honda a fraction of the list price to you and me
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Re: Africa twin price
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:55:17 PM
not sure its affecting the crossrunner sales .. 1% of a 1% market after all ??and Did many of us buy to go off-road? And actually I'm not sure I would fancy taking the Africa twin off road either at 10 k its a lot to break! But reckon they will eventually either stop the add ons for  CR or start doing some for the twin?then there will be a doubt.. Personally I reckon the interest in twin is justified but as a fashion statement ..and not sure the blues white one is that cool ..as someone's else said looks a bit ford Capri 70's colour scheme ? Red ones nice tho ...

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:05 PM
Hi

It wouldn't tempt me for a road only bike as it is too high for me and I prefer the styling of the Crossrunner.

I guess some people may take the twin if they were worried about servicing costs on a V4 though.

To my mind the Crossrunner is really a road touring bike with adventure bike styling so if I were seriously considering the possibility of leaving the Tarmac for long distances on trails or muddy tracks I guess the twin and a pair of platform shoes would be a better bet.

:002:

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:30 PM
I'd be curious to see how many people keep the CR long enough to actually have a 16K service,
My Mrs has just gone through the 16K service on her early model bike and has no intention of swapping it.
I'll have a go at most things, but wasn't confident enough to tackle the valve/v-tec service.
The Africa twin will be more of an off road capable niche bike I reckon, whereas the CR is a more comfy take on the VFR with that all important ability to cross a grass verge to park.

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:57 PM
The Africa twin just reminds me of the Boreman brigade you see on the Chunnel, all alloy top boxes,panniers and crash bars with about as much chance of going off road as me hitting the moto gp grid.
Love the comments of the last 2 posts, sums it up really.
 :419:

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:59:00 PM
The Africa twin just reminds me of the Boreman brigade you see on the Chunnel, all alloy top boxes,panniers and crash bars with about as much chance of going off road as me hitting the moto gp grid.
Love the comments of the last 2 posts, sums it up really.
 :419:

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:24 PM
Sorry chaps didn't mean to bore you twice

Offline Gain

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: NW Leic's
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:29 PM
About right tho'    :028:

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:49:03 AM
TBH I might have considered waiting for an africa twin if they had been lighter in weight.. but they aren't much different to our weight so decided to go for the CR
Posing not my thing ...I suppose

Offline 54K+

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Caponord Rally
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 09:42:33 PM
well I liked it! IT is more of genuine adventure bike than the C.R. but it handles really well, is comfortable and with DCT and handlebar warmers is very civilised. If there was little difference in price I know where my money would go....Sorry.  :034:
sorry I posted my thoughts about it and the Cross Tourer on the time out - general chat discussion pages.