Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Exhaust clamp corroded  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Exhaust clamp corroded
on: February 23, 2016, 10:04:54 AM
Just checking over the bike this morning and noticed a little blowing around the exhaust clamp, had a wiggle and the clamp fell off  :230:

I tend to take the exhaust off every 6 months and clean and lube the joint and clamp, to prevent seizing.

So just a heads up even with regular checks the little bugger can catch you by surprise.

Just looking at replacements, genuine honda about £25, I've found stainless steel ones on e-bay for about £5.  The difference is the e-bay ones only have one clamp bolt but the honda ones are 2 bolts.

I can't imagine there is a lot of strength required on the clamp, it's only to provide a seal.

So any thoughts on the suitability of a single bolt clamp?
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:10:46 AM by Cornersruns

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Exhaust clamp corroded
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:48:20 PM
When I swapped my OEM can for an Ixil and started to undo the clamp, it literally fell apart in my hands.  The band behind the exhaust was rusted through completely although it looked fine from the front.

It had clearly been serving no function at all for some time, but there was no sign of the original can blowing.
I think if you seal the joint with silicone rubber sealant then the clamp has very little work to do and you may as well go with the single bolt.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Cornersruns

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800-X (2012)
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Exhaust clamp corroded
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:34:18 PM
I think you are probably right  :028:

Both exhaust components seem very solid without the clamp. so it does appear to just provide the seal.

What puzzles, and exasperates, me is that a band of 2mm ish steel, with great big holes punched in it, has 2 great M5 ish screws  :005: providing a massive clamping force  :027: it just seems like unbalanced design.

Oh well I'm happy that it's just silly little things that annoy me about the runner  :001:

recent