Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Blaze panniers  (Read 3094 times)

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Blaze panniers
on: March 18, 2016, 02:22:15 PM
Hi chaps

Anyone got a view on these ?

I'm thinking of investing in a pair

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Blaze panniers
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:37:34 PM
Recently bought a set for my 2015. Don't use panniers very often so don't want to pay £600 or whatever for the Honda ones that fit straight on and don't want a load of scaffolding on the bike for other makes. The Blaze were the best compromise, with a bracket that fits to rear foot peg hanger being the only additional bit when the panniers aren't on.

As Steve said in his thread, they aren't "fixed" to the bike and they don't lock (but a small padlock can be fitted through the zip tags). Not really a problem so far, for me, as I pack, ride to destination, unpack and repeat for return journey. Could be a pain if you are leàving the bike parked out of your sight while you're off having lunch or sightseeing......but if you tour regularly or use panniers everyday you'll probably get a hard set.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

VFR800X, NC700X and CB650F.

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:00:19 PM
Many thanks for your reply

Do they move around at all under speed or cornering  - I usually use a tail bag with an excessive amount of bungies keeping it rock steady

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:39:26 PM
*Originally Posted by reasty [+]
Many thanks for your reply

Do they move around at all under speed or cornering  - I usually use a tail bag with an excessive amount of bungies keeping it rock steady

Not had any problems. Last run was Manchester to Chorley both bags full of books - M/way and A roads.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 07:55:16 AM
That's good to know.

I am in the same situation of needing panniers for occasional use so do not want to spend £700 on Honda ones.

I was just a bit concerned as they are only held together by Velcro over the seat as to whether they would come apart and dangle down the sides from the bars attached to the bike.

Sounds like they are plenty secure enough though!

Out of interest have you tried attaching the Velcro straps under the seat on the 2015 model so they are a little more secure whilst popping in to pay for fuel etc or does it not look like that would work?

:002:

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:01:20 AM
You can download the fitting guide which will show how securely they mount to the bike, and there are numerous you tube videos and on line reviews.

http://bigbikemad.com/bags-connection-blaze-panniers-review/

I've not used mine yet, but they fit securely, seem good quality and with a Top Sellerie seat on a Mk1, the top flaps will fit under the seat (though getting the seat off again proved to be more difficult than getting it on). 

The upsides are that the fittings are discreet when the bags are not on the bike; they fit in less than a minute and look good once on, they have a useful carrying capacity even before the width of the bike is increased and are not too filter-constraining even when expanded; they are well made, the outer is showerproof and the inner bags are waterproof; they are perfect for occasional weekend use, or longer if you also have a decent sized top box.

The only downsides are that they are less secure than hard luggage and with a max expanded combined volume of 42 litres, are a fair bit smaller than the largest hard panniers.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 08:27:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Greenie [+]
That's good to know.

I am in the same situation of needing panniers for occasional use so do not want to spend £700 on Honda ones.

I was just a bit concerned as they are only held together by Velcro over the seat as to whether they would come apart and dangle down the sides from the bars attached to the bike.

Sounds like they are plenty secure enough though!

Out of interest have you tried attaching the Velcro straps under the seat on the 2015 model so they are a little more secure whilst popping in to pay for fuel etc or does it not look like that would work?

:002:

I just put them over the seat and the rails (the flap is just too wide to fit the gap). If I recall correctly, I briefly looked and thought that they wouldn't go under the pillion as they wouldn't allow the seat to lock back in position.

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:57 AM
Ok cheers for the reply.

I guess like you I will live with that and go for the Blaze panniers as £700 for the Honda panniers just isn't possible for me at the moment.

Thanks again,

:001:

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:22 PM
Mine got their first serious test over the last few days of torrential rain.  A few days around Bristol staying on the bike overnight and then, thanks to the M4 closure today, what turned into a very prolonged exposure to serious rain whilst full. 

Result, very happy.  The cases themselves barely let any water through - the inside was moist, but that could easily have been from condensation due to the humidity.  My clothes which were inside the supplied inner bags, were dry as a bone.

Unlike my VFR800 which with the topbox alone fitted, developed a noticeable weave above 30 mph if I took pressure off the bars, the CR was absolutely stable at all sane speeds with topbox and panniers.  Moreover, with the panniers not expanded they did not affect filtering at all.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:15 PM
Used mine for the first time at the weekend. I usually use an oxford tail bag strapped to the seat.
In the  non expanded state the volume is about the same. The big benefits for me are the handling - felt so much better being low down and secondly the ease to attach and remove from the bike.
I also bought a steel cable combination luggage lock which I threaded through the handles and pillion grabs to make them less likely to be nicked.
Nice bit of kit.