Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Helmet life  (Read 3384 times)

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Helmet life
on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:41 PM
Anyone got any opinions on the 5 years and bin it view?

Just had a look at the you tube - two wheel obsession site. Interesting turbulence experiment mentioned by greenie in another post - he has firm views on the 5 year guide to helmet life

:087:

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Re: Helmet life
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:34:49 PM
I must admit I changed my last helmet on age alone having probably only covered about 10000 miles wearing it over the course of 6 years.

I looked after it well so it still looked like new making it a hard decision to spend £500 on a new one. I decided better safe than sorry though.

I did quite a bit of research on the Internet on the subject at the time and the most logical explanation I found for the time limit was that components like the foam and adhesives used in the manufacture degrade over time so can't be relied on to perform as intended forever.

My opinion from my experience of materials as a chemist was that this would be slower if the helmet was used less and was kept in darkness inside its bag when not in use so I stretched it out to around 6 years based on the helmets condition.

Things like sweat, sunlight, temperature, general light knocks and abrasion from airborne particulates are all likely to increase the rate of material decomposition. The 5 year replacement advice probably has to take in the worst case scenario of a heavily used and perhaps not so well stored and cleaned helmet.

That said I am not about to recommend anyone ignore manufacturer advice but just explain my logic in the decision I made.

On their website the Shoei warranty is 7 years from manufacture or 5 years from purchase (whichever comes first) so that would tend to support my views on environmental factors affecting the rate of component degradation. It appears that in their view an unused helmet is safe to use up until it is 7 years old but only for 5 years from its first use even if that were on the day of manufacture.

They do recommend immediate replacement before this timescale if the helmet is dropped, damaged in any way or becomes loose from heavy use etc.

:002:

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:47:41 PM
*Originally Posted by reasty [+]
Just had a look at the you tube - two wheel obsession site. Interesting turbulence experiment mentioned by greenie in another post - he has firm views on the 5 year guide to helmet life

:087:

Just watched the video and it generally agrees with what I had researched last year.

I don't think it would have degraded quite so badly if he hadn't used it at all though as things like sweat and temperature would be sure to increase the speed of degradation.

Mine certainly didn't look that bad inside when I inspected it prior to replacement.

:001:
Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:50:47 PM by Greenie

Online reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:26:05 PM
Hi greenie,

I was interested in the discrimination between the degradation of the foam and liner as distinct from the shell and polystyrene. Obviously the former would degrade with sweat etc whereas the latter I would imagine to be more robust.
I think I'm heading towards the better safe than sorry camp!

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:34:30 PM
Yes that's what I did but it hurt throwing away what looked like a perfectly serviceable helmet and then having to spend hundreds replacing it.

Still on the bright side the new helmet is red and white so matches the colour of my red crossrunner better and I received a tinted visor, helmet/tail bag and set of earplugs for free when I bought it through sportsbike.com.

I've only got the one head and know the value of a quality helmet from an accident many years ago where I scraped one for a couple of hundred yards down the road at about 90 mph and did not suffer a single scratch. The helmet suffered terminal damage though and it was bl**dy loud inside it during the slide.

I was happy to pay the price of a new one after that though as it had done its job so well!

:001:

Offline Hanger17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossdresser x
  • City / Town: Lisburn
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 10:56:24 PM
just bought a new shoei nxr stable tc2 and treated it to a transitions lens.

the shop guy said the degrading shows in the black over inside protection, if its had a lot of swear or broke down due to poor fitment, sun , all sorts of stuff he waffled, he said the inside black would be all crack lines, flaking or peeling. (in a shoei)
my last lid will become an ornament or occasional use lid..
but its as new. . a mint 7 year old x-spirit 2 Refurb Union Jack.

if i cared about being judged by a stranger, i'd be religious.