Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Trip  (Read 1613 times)

Offline reasty

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
Trip
on: April 15, 2016, 05:32:37 PM
Worked my cods off this week to free up today so I could enjoy the new milder weather.
Trip planned to Goodwood circuit.
All going well until 10mins after leaving home then the heavens opened and stayed open delivering stair rods all day.
Stuck with it, the cafe at the entrance to the circuit is well worth a visit, not cheap but quality food.
Serious question - any body got a recommendation for a decent waterproof textile suit?

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Trip
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:56:33 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a Rukka Armas suit.  Outrageously expensive at about £1800, but so far (3 years) totally waterproof.
The confidence of being able to ride in all weathers confident that I will not be getting wet and that I have about the best textile crash protection possible, is for me, worth the money.

I have worn a variety of textile gear, Hein Gericke, Oxford, Voto, Frank Thomas, spending far more in total than the Rukka gear and nothing else comes close.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:24:39 PM
If you can't stretch to the Rukka gear I have been happy with my Richa gear.

Until ....

Yesterday I got caught in heavy rain for about 30 mins. Most of me stayed dry but I got home with soaking wet arms.

Time to use that Nickwax re waterproofing stuff I have had kicking about in a cupboard for years.

:003:

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
*Originally Posted by reasty [+]
Serious question - any body got a recommendation for a decent waterproof textile suit?
I've never had a complete outfit from a single manufacturer, but here's my 2 pence on the matter..

Rukka - outrageously expensive, and I couldn't bring myself to buy another at today's prices, but I bought a 300UKP jacket of theirs in 2000 which served me perfectly for 10 years, used most days in all weather, until the goretex lining started breaking down in the arms and shoulders and its waterproofing became negligible. The jacket (and me) survived several falls and slides, but retained its integrity. When I replaced it, the only functional wear was the tired velcro at the collar.

Dainese - went Italian to replace the Rukka.. an excellent jacket, aside from the external pockets not being waterproof! Six years in and its still as good as new (although I ride less than I used to). Pockets aside, it's 100% waterproof and really warm. Not crash tested!

Spidi - being a slender chap, these are about the only brand of trouser that fit me. Now on my third pair. They're well made, and not crazy expensive. The removable waterproof lining works 100%, and allows for cool summer rides. Occasionally I curse the fact that I left the lining out but got caught out in the rain, and they're no fun to change at the roadside in the rain.

Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:32:50 AM by v8guy
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

recent