Recent Gallery Images

cleaned for winter

Views: 53
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Horn upgrade  (Read 5185 times)

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
Horn upgrade
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
I used to have a couple of Stebel horns on the SV making a real difference to some dreamy car drivers so I'm thinking of upgrading the rather cute horn on the CR with something a bit louder. Did anyone attempt this yet? Any recommendations?

Shaunomercy

Re: Horn upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
The horn you want is the stebel. Nautilus...
The magnum should fit without issue but in all honesty, the Nautilus is the way to go.  its the loudest compact air horn in the world.  it was possible on the vfr vtec to fit with a home made bracket but as to the crossrunner its a fairing off and look job to see if its possible.

Paul

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:39:00 PM by Shaunomercy »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
Horn upgrade
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
A bit difficult to get one of those in the uk and they seem rather expensive. I had the Magnums (low & high tone) and they were really loud. I heard the air horns have a slight delay until the compressor builds up pressure so that's why I went for the electromagnetic ones. But being 2 units may take extra space so I was curious to see if anyone tried any mounting locations.

I haven't personally heard the Nautilus except for some YouTube videos where the Magnums seem about the same if not louder. When you said Nautilus is the way to go, we're you comparing to one single Magnum unit or the High / Low pair?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:25:46 AM by maxincuk »

Shaunomercy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
I had a single magnum.  Upgraded to the Nautilus.  Think nippy normans sell them or halfrauds.  The nautilus delay you mention....  Unledd you detatch the horn from the main compressor and use the supplied pipe, the delay is tiny, talking miliseconds,  but the horn is so load, it matches the volume of the horn on my scania truck
If i remember correctly the nautilus is around 3db louder....  But thats a logarithmic scale remember.  The nautilus is night and day louder and has car drivers swerving out of you way. 
Over winter im going to have a look at fitting one as the standard honda horn is so week it should be illegal.  If the EU want to do something about motorcycle safety etc they should legislate that motorcycle horns should be a minumum 136db.

If you go the nautilus route, you MUST wire with relay that is supplied as the fuse supplied is 20 amp.  I had one on my fz6 fazer.  At tick over, the horn would dip the lights a fraction, it pulls so much current.  But loud....  You could here it the other side of the distribution center where I work.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:58:18 PM by Shaunomercy »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
Cool, you sold me! Always wanted to drive a truck ... hehe.

I noticed there is Nautilus and Nautilus Compact. I assume the compact version would be easier to fit but would it be as good?

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
The nautilus is the compact air horn.. As far as Im aware there is only the one.  it is however the loudest compact air horn in the world.....

Paul

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »
I have got a reply from UK Classic stating that Stebel have gone bust. Strange as the website is still on but this could explain why they are so difficult to find.

Many thanks for your enquiry.
I am sorry but Stebel no longer exist as a company. Once the stock has gone it will no longer be replaced.

Shaunomercy

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »
Here you go....
 http://www.nippynormans.com/products/horns-exclusive/item/nautilus-msx-horn-139db-black-stb-naut-com

30 quid.  I am not sure however you will find space to mount it with the V4.  gonna have a look over weekend to see.
I will point out that the nautilus is twice as loud as the magnum.  don't sound in a garage.
Paul

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
I got the horn today and sounds lovely. If only I could hold it in my hand :)

The CR is one tightly packed machine. There is virtually no room on the right hand side under the fairing as I struggled with the heated grips so unless I can find some room on the other side, I can't see how this could be installed on the CR.

recent