Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wiring for sat nav  (Read 5123 times)

Offline PaulJC

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Red 2011 (Mk 1)
Wiring for sat nav
on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:02 AM
Morning all!

I have a question for you all regarding wiring in a sat nav to my bike. The instructions say to wire direct to the battery, but after looking on the internet people advise wiring to a switched live circuit. This does make sense as I only want it on when the ignition is on and don't want to flatten the battery. Has anyone used a piggy back fuse adapter to tap a switched live? It looks a sensible option as there are no cutting/splicing of wires and you have a fuse for the original circuit and one for the sat nav circuit (2A). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul.

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Re: Wiring for sat nav
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:59:55 PM
I would buy a quartet harness and fit both the feed and return to this. That's the way Honda would recommend.

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:44:24 AM
My Tom Tom which came free with the bike was wired straight to the battery by the main dealer.

This is fine for me as I don't leave it on the bike when I am not riding. I lock it in my top box to keep thieving eyes at bay.

As satnavs draw relatively small amounts of power I don't think there would be a problem even if it was left on the bike for short periods (refuelling etc), or for longer periods in your garage whilst the bike is left on an Optimate or similar charger.

If you really think you will leave it on your bike for long periods whilst the engine is not running then you are more trusting than me and the harness is definitely the way to go.

The other thing about the harness to consider though is it will also allow you to fit other accessories easily, but the flip side is the extra cost and the hassle of fitting it.

Bruggen how much did the quartet harness cost?

I may be in the market myself if I decide to fit fog lights or similar.

:001:

Offline silkysilcock

• Crossrunner Member
  • Silkysilcock
  • Bike: VFR800 Cross
  • City / Town: Bury
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:16:51 PM

I have fitted the 12v Honda connector to the bike.

Honda cost is £75 which is expensive and I picked mine up after searching sites for about £40.

It requires not wiring and basically piggy backs of power supply to lighting (plig connector harness).

You end up with a cigarette lighter socket under the seat which is only activated when ignition on.

I then wired this to the power supplies I wanted (autocom/usbcharger/Tomtom).

Hope this helps

Mike
2014 Crossrunner - picking up March 1st 2016

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:21 PM
I'm getting my power socket and quartet harness along with a hugger in exchange for my Tom Tom sat nav, but as Silky says £75 Honda price. The quartet harness gives you 4 X power connectors as the name implies, one (red) is taken up by the accessory socket. This is the same as used on my current Pan European.

Offline Greenie

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: CBR650F
  • City / Town: Rayleigh
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 06:27:20 PM
Thanks for the replies  :152:

Sounds like I may be doing a bit of Internet searching in the near future.

It's certainly a better solution than splicing into the existing wiring to get a feed that is only live when the ignition is on!

:001:

Offline ian

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X 2015
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 02:29:45 PM
I have wired my sat nav to the live side of the front brake switch and taken the earth from the brake lever pivot post (if that's what it's called).
I crimped and soldered a piggy back connector to the +ve wire from the sat nav and put this on to the live side of the brake light switch. The live wire from the bike's loom plugs on to the piggy back tab.
I crimped and soldered an eyelet connector to the -ve wire from the sat nav and bolted this onto the brake lever pivot.
A bit of extra insulation and a few cable ties to tidy up the wiring and voila - a cheap solution that is on a switched circuit, doesn't take long to do and doesn't modify any of the bike wiring.

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:06:53 PM
My dealer failed (forgot) to wire my "free" TomTom when the bike arrived, so I spliced and soldered into the rear tail light wiring under the pillion seat with an inline fuse and used a frame bolt for the earth, so it will only operate when the ignition is on. It was quite difficult running the wire back under the tank, riders seat, etc. as I didn't know how to remove the tank (still don't) but it works fine for me. If or when I sell, the sat-nav will go with the bike.
I had done the same on a Bandit many years ago and it was fine for 11 years (intercom in those days)

Only downside is the TomTom wants to shut down in 10 seconds when I turn off ign. It does give you this 10 seconds to 'cancel' and then you can play with the sat-nav, like for re-routing or search for something. Better than a flat battery.

Offline Richard42

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Cross Runner
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 08:40:34 PM
Hello,
I bought one of those screwdriver type gadgets with a light in the handle from Halfords, except there's a point rather than a flat.Pick a suitable wire, generally tucked away in the loom. Connect the crocodile clip to a suitable earth and then carefully push the point into the wire with the ignition on.If it lights up its obviously live, switch ignition off and if it goes out then it would be OK to connect your appliance too.
Hope this helps.
Richard 42.

Offline Richard42

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Cross Runner
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:52:41 PM
Hi Everyone,
Any pictures on wiring in a sat nav (Garmin 660) ? Also is there a multi purpose block where you could wire in other accessories, such as riding lights.
Thanks Richard