Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Biking in London  (Read 1543 times)

Offline agumdoo

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Member
Biking in London
on: July 24, 2016, 08:59:10 PM
Hi, I will be heading for London in August. I have not ridden in London for 25 years and wondered what the score is with bus lanes, congestion charges, free parking or anything else I should be aware of.
I drove in London for many years and thought I was the dogs******** until someone jumped off a moving bus in front of me - do they still have open platform buses ?

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Re: Biking in London
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:18:29 AM
I live about 30 miles from London and go up there occasionally, if I must, I park in the underground car park off Park Lane/Marble Arch, it's free for bikes with 313 spaces. Q-Park, who operate it, will try to tap you for a £5 pass card, "As most of our car parks require a parking ticket to gain access through the pedestrian entrances, for a nominal one time fee of just £5 you can apply for an entrance pass at your chosen car park each time you park" Westminster Council say it's not actually required. http://www.q-park.co.uk/parking/london/q-park-park-lane Usually you by-pass the barrier and the bike park is the far end, coming in off Park Lane.
Some of the bus lanes are open to bikes but I'm sure someone else on here will give you the right ones, or look at the start for the bikes allowed sign.
Congestion charge for us is still free.
Just watch out for the taxi's and cycle/bike couriers doing U turns and pedestrians on their phones/iPods/Pokemon hunting!  :114:

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Biking in London
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:09:23 PM
I used to commute into Westminster and really enjoyed it.  Bus lanes increasingly allow bikes, but check carefully.

My top tip is if you want to ride in to try before you buy as it were, go during the week.  Counter intuitive as this sounds, during the week everyone knows the score and tends to leave room for bikes to filter, knows where they are going so acts predictably.  Go at the weekend when it is full of confused visitors and it is a nightmare by comparison.
Best Regards Dave
2012 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES