Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: GIVI Touring Screen  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Slaine

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Camberley
Re: GIVI Touring Screen
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 02:42:20 PM
*Originally Posted by CBM [+]
I've got Palmer's set at full height & upright tilt + Ermax screen but never tried them with a standard screen, it'll be interesting to hear your findings. I'm 6'2" and wear a Shoei Air GT, my combo is great improvement from standard but not perfect by any means. Having said that I can comfortably ride at around 70mph with the visor up which is nice in recent weather.
I've wonder if adding one of the small adjustable extenders to the top would make it even better, anyone tried/have thoughts on them?

When I get to it I'll post back to this thread.

Offline Haddo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 15CX
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 01:03:21 AM
I've had a Givi adjustabe screen for a few years. When I purchased it new there was a speed restriction ( 110kph I think ) fully raised. After doing a fair amount of touring I worked out to lower the screen @ faster speeds anyway. Never lost the screen fully raised at speeds up to 170kph but the wind buffeting was a bad issiue so worked out to lower it half way down which was a happy median between screen & helmet. But having said all that, mostly now ( not touring ) I remove the top all together. Personally I think with the weight, height & ergo's of the Crossrunner renders them not suitable for large screens like the big cruisers I've had in the past.

Offline ThunderGuts

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 04:10:09 PM
Presumably the OEM screen is designed to withstand the maximum speed of the bike (as you might live in Germany!); I find it hard to believe that 140mph (?) windblast on the standard screen would put less stress on the mounts than a slightly larger screen at say 70-80mph . . . smells like the GIVI screen wasn't up to it.

Offline Hanger17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossdresser x
  • City / Town: Lisburn
Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 04:22:36 PM
probably tested to max 70mph.
sure no one ever speeds . ,,,
right :015:

lessons learned. thats what forums are for.  :020:

if ya got a dealer to fit it on a bike new out of the showroom, i wonder if they would be fed up or emailing and complaining for a fix? the slide out holes downwards on the honda mounting, shouldnt even exist. its ¾ the problem.
if i cared about being judged by a stranger, i'd be religious.

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 06:18:41 PM
Other bike manufacturers opt for simple round holes to house the rubber screen-mounting Wellnuts.  However, Honda have designed a "slotted keyhole" type of hole. This enables the screen to be removed by slackening (not entirely removing) the fixing screws and then sliding everything downwards out of the "keyhole". The big drawback here is that the incomplete 'circle' distorts the Wellnuts, which eventually squirm out of the slotted hole, thus negating any notional advantage that the keyhole system might seem to offer.

My fix for this has been to fit some longer rubber Rawlnuts and slip washers on to the back before tightening the screws. These longer Rawlnuts then expand into a much bigger and more secure blobby bit which cannot squirm past the washer. The washer presents a round hole to the rubber nut and bridges the keyhole slot of the original Honda brackets. It works!  :152:

Here are some photos. In time I may swap the screws for prettier hex heads but they are M5 thread, just the same as the original.

So far the whole screen installation has remained secure and steady at all speeds  :164:

Something like this should do the trick  :-

https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?RUBBER-RAWL-NUT-WITH-A-BRASS-M5-THREADED-BUSH-&p=0000004125

Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Offline Hanger17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 01:29:08 PM
your basically saying your smarter than a team of designers from givi with a £1m wind tunnel and calibrated vibration machines  and scopes th check they are 100% right ,,
because you thought of this in your shed you think your clever? , 🧐 these superbrains day its standard honda fit.
winde yer neck in smarty pants 🤣 
patent it! QUICK! 👍👍👍

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 08:11:10 PM
I did a long ride today over mixed fast roads plus some very bumpy back lanes. The screen is still on!  Nothing moved. The main saviour is the washers, to span the Honda keyhole slots.
Pat Pending.  :152:
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Offline Hanger17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 08:53:50 PM
i was thinking these. (((((((((before i give up !!!))))))))))))
the threaded part through the honda slot, a large washer and nylock.
screen on top and  StainlessSteel torx screws with a large head and nylon washer. low/med thread lock on it.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/stud-mounts/8112378/

Offline ianrd

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: KELSO
Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 03:20:12 PM
hi there had the same problem with the givi touring screen, so i've got the longer rubbers fits a lot tighter but the screen is to tall and heavy couldn't put the washers on the design of the mounting is different so i chopped the screen

Offline ianrd

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: KELSO
Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 03:24:48 PM

recent