Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Which Crossrunner 2015 panniers to choose?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline archGL

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800X 2015
Which Crossrunner 2015 panniers to choose?
on: November 06, 2016, 10:49:07 PM
Hi,

I have a CR 2015 with original Honda 45l top box. For the next season I would like to buy a set of hard panniers, but I have hard time deciding if I should go for honda panniers or givi or sw motech  :087:. I like that honda panniers doesn't require any rack so I expect easy installation and no rack rusting problems, however I am not sure if 29L capacity isn't too small (riding possibly with a passenger)? And they are expensive... Also is it possible to use some kind of additional straps or net to mount something on top of them if there is no rack?

I am considering also the 35L GIVI V35NT panniers (requires relocating the rear indicators) or maybe something from SW Motech, like Trax Evo (37 or 45L) but I am a bit worried about aerodynamics and being waterproof with those. Also I would like the rack to be easily removable since I don't plan to have them mounted all the time. Which has better rack?

So, does anybody have some advice on capacity, aerodynamics? What about the maximum load weight of honda vs others? And security?

Thanks.
Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:57:45 PM by archGL

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Re: Which Crossrunner 2015 panniers to choose?
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:33 AM

I have recently fitted a pair of 37 Litre Givi Trekker Outback Panniers and Frame to my 16 CR, partly because I already had a matching Top Box and also because like you, I felt the Honda Panniers to be too small. My Dealer quoted over £700 for the Honda units including key sets to match the Bike and original Top Box, but they discounted the Givi cases to £650 including Mounting Frame.

If you do go for the Givi cases, the instructions tell you to move the rear indicators after the rest of the Frames have been fitted. I found it far better to move the Indicators first. Just so you know, the indicator leads are long enough and don't need extending.

Offline archGL

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:48:15 AM
Thanks. Can the givi frame for trekker cases be easily detached from the bike? Does it have some quick detach mechanism?

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:40 AM

No, they do another version for plastic Panniers where the main Frames can easily be removed, but these were not the Panniers that I wanted and wasn't concerned that the Frames would be left on the Bike at all times. Originally I was only wanting Frames for my several year old Givi plastic Panniers but they have changed the design and the rear face of the new Panniers are stepped and not a flat surface as my old ones so these would not fit the removable Frames that, other than for the Trekker Frames are the only ones they offer for the 15/16 CR.

Offline archGL

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:08:15 AM
I bought the V35 panniers in the end. I tried to move the rear indicators first but I don't know how to remove them - I removed all the bolts from inner side of the plastic fender but I still can't get to the bolts holding the indicators inside. I fitted the rest of the frame easily. I will have to bring the bike to the shop after winter and let them move the indicators if there isn't some safe way to do this.

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 06:56:01 PM

Hi archGL,

I understand your difficulty with removing the Indicators, it took me all of one afternoon to complete the job. I can't remember exactly what I did in the end, but the whole rear Number Plate/Light Housing had to be removed from the Mudguard sufficiently to get to the Indicator fixing nuts behind and to pull through the leads. Also the left rear side panel had to come off. It is something that Givi doesn't explain, just saying to move the Indicators back!

I've attached a photo showing how I routed the Indicator cables into the rear light housing, they then go upwards into the space behind and under the rear of the seat cowling and along into the connectors behind the left side panel. The Indicator leads can be removed and refitted without cutting off the actual Orange and Blue coloured connectors.

If you do have another attempt, just take your time and don't force or strain any of the plastic panels.

Hope this helps.

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:37 AM
mine has , Hepco & Becker panniers , which can be transfered to other bikes - bike specific rack required
but happy enough with them although not " adventure looking " - pics in gallery

recent