Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fork Seals Gone after 20K miles  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Curve

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Fork Seals Gone after 20K miles
on: November 08, 2016, 08:29:40 AM
Dear All,

I have just been advised by the Honda Dealer that my fork seals have gone, after just 20K miles, they have quoted £230  :005: to replace them. I would have thought (hoped) that this would have been a warranty item? I have never had to replace fork seals on a bike before. (more than 20k and a lot oder than 18 months)

If I have to pay, suggestions on cheaper fixes would be appreciate!  :152:
Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:03:30 AM by Curve

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Re: Fork Seals Gone after 20K miles
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 10:15:16 AM
If you're keeping the stanchions clean, they should last longer than 20k. If not, it happens! It only takes a small bit of grit..

You can check whether they need replacing by bouncing the forks and checking to see whether there's any remnant oil on the fork stanchions. Any sign of oil, they're leaking. A small leak is ok, for a while... It's up to you how long you want to ride with a steadily decreasing quantity of fork oil.

As for reducing the cost.. try a non-franchise workshop for a start. My local independent mechanic charges considerably less than a dealer. Replacement shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours max.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:52:56 PM
I agree with V8guy, but that sounds a lot of money and can happen anytime if grit has entered the seals.

There is a little gadget that scrapes the rubbish out of seals used by the off-road boys, it's called a Seal Mate http://sealmate.net/ it may just save you money if the seals aren't already torn or ripped.

Failing that and if you're not into fixing it yourself, then try a smaller motorcycle repair shop, their costs and overheads less than most main dealers and you'll possibly get a better personal service too. 
Or you could try asking ask Bruggen on this forum, he's a top bloke when it comes to maintaining bikes. Get his advice on seal replacement, I doubt he'll actually do it for you, but may tell you how or suggest something. He's not too far from you either! :002:

Offline Curve

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:32:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. The garage have applied to Honda to do it under warranty, however, I have just purchased a Seal Mate off eBay for £5.79 if they don't fix it!  :046:

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:34:37 PM
 :028:

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 05:05:38 PM
Well, I hope Honda will do these for you, but suspect that they may not and state that they are a wear item. Glad you got the seal mate, well worth a go before you get into fitting seals. Make sure that your forks are not rusty or pitted in the area that is swept by the seals, if they are, then you need to get the inner fork replaced. I had to do this on my Pan European on one side. There are plenty of videos on the web on how to replace your fork seals and if you have any mechanical aptitude you should find them very doable yourself. You could do both sides cheaply enough this way. Current price is £19.49 per side for a 2015 model. You will need to add the cost of the oil of course, I used synthetic Castrol fork oil from Halfords. It amounts to about £60 in parts so £230 is a bit of a joke really. Good luck with the warranty claim :028: