Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Heated grips - where to mount switch ?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Stagman

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2013
  • City / Town: Ellesmere Port
Heated grips - where to mount switch ?
on: December 02, 2016, 07:31:41 PM
Greetings all
keen to avoid another frozen fingered winter I fitted Barkbuster hand guards and bought some Oxford Touring grips.  Hand guards are excellent - almost enough by themselves - but heated grips will sort it right out. Now the problem....where the heck to mount the switch / controller for the grips ? There seems no good / obvious position.  Has anybody figured a good place and method to mount ?
Suggestions appreciated
Cheers !
Stagman

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Heated grips - where to mount switch ?
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:58:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Stagman [+]
Greetings all
keen to avoid another frozen fingered winter I fitted Barkbuster hand guards and bought some Oxford Touring grips.  Hand guards are excellent - almost enough by themselves - but heated grips will sort it right out. Now the problem....where the heck to mount the switch / controller for the grips ? There seems no good / obvious position.  Has anybody figured a good place and method to mount ?
Suggestions appreciated
Cheers !
Stagman

Those Barkbusters look interesting. Please let us know how you get on with fitting and how they perform please.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Stagman

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:34:11 PM
I put the barkbusters on at the end of last winter and would fully recommend. These and decent winter gloves are pretty close to being good enough without hot grips. Only issue is they do catch on the binnacle at full lock with the standard supplied fittings. Easy fix was to get some slightly  longer spacers  made by a local engineering  company...did it free as the md is a fellow biker. Still needed to trim about 7-8 mm off the inner end of the guards to clear easily.  Well worth the small  effort. If of  interest will post a couple of pics.

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 08:17:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Stagman [+]
I put the barkbusters on at the end of last winter and would fully recommend. These and decent winter gloves are pretty close to being good enough without hot grips. Only issue is they do catch on the binnacle at full lock with the standard supplied fittings. Easy fix was to get some slightly  longer spacers  made by a local engineering  company...did it free as the md is a fellow biker. Still needed to trim about 7-8 mm off the inner end of the guards to clear easily.  Well worth the small  effort. If of  interest will post a couple of pics.

As I commute daily through the winter, those are of definite interest to me. How easy are they to fit? Getting the weights out of the bars looks problematic???
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:41:42 PM
I fitted the Givi hand guards to mine, very pleased with them. There are no weights in the bars just a rubber cork. I just undid the screw and removed the existing bar ends then used a toothpick to ease the rubber cork out which you will need to reuse with the screws provided with the guards. The nuts inside are not captive so have the side that you're working on tilting slightly downwards so you don't lose the nut into the centre of the bars.

Offline heathy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR899X
  • City / Town: Rubery
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:26:41 PM
I fitted Barkbusters 18 months ago (310.00 of ebay) along with J and S heated grips. Both were really easy to fit and have proved their worth over and over. I mounted the switch for the grips on a home made bracket thats mounted on the top clutch lever securing bolt. can attach a photo if it helps.

Offline heathy

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Honda VFR899X
  • City / Town: Rubery
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:28:36 PM
Yikes, excuse the typo in last post the Barkbusters cost £10.00, not £310.00!

Offline Stagman

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:48 PM
Hi Skids, Bruggen, Heathy,
like Bruggen - found no problem in removing the bar weights.  Only problem I had was avoiding clash with the binnacle.  Just make sure you use spacers or trim a bit off the narrow end of the guards.  Remember to use some threadlock on the bolts on final fit - and they hold good and solid.
Heathy - thanks for the tip on mounting - if you can muster a photo - that would be ace.  Cheers Stagman

Offline Stagman

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:05:18 PM
Hi all just FYI a couple of pics of my Barkbusters.  If you zoom in you can probably just see the extra spacer I put in - the long cylindrical bit. Also the trimmed narrow end of the guard doesn't affect the look.  Cheers Stagman

Offline Stagman

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 06:06:29 PM
Another view