Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Pannier Inner Bags  (Read 2071 times)

Offline shutler01

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR 800X
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Pannier Inner Bags
on: January 16, 2017, 01:59:50 PM
I am the new proud owner of a 2015 X Runner with original plastic panniers. I would like to purchase the inner bags but find they are circa £100 which is a bit steep. Can anyone advise other makes/models that fits reasonably well? Many thanks.

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Re: Pannier Inner Bags
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:30 PM
Hi Shutler, well done and hope you're enjoying your new steed.  :152:

I've got the Honda inner bags and yes they are steep at £100* a pair, but then the shape of the panniers is slightly odd (aerodynamic). (* I got mine free with a voucher!)

They are quick and handy for getting in and out of the original panniers, but being an odd shape this can be tricky actually fitting stuff in the bags, they're not enormous. The very nature of having inner bags thus reduces the carrying capacity of said panniers. Before I got the bags I used to remove the panniers and stuff everything in before remounting. This worked fine, as laying them down facilitated easy access but then carrying them loaded, without banging into hotel fire doorways or the like, was tricky too! I've got the larger top box but never got around to an inner bag there, because I manage to get everything into the side panniers. I use the top box mainly for holding two full face helmets. I've also got the elasticated straps that hold these bags, or other stuff in, if not using the inner bags, they are again expensive (free again) but do a good job when used as they were intended.

I dare say someone will recommend something similar or easily adaptable. Good luck.  :002:

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

When I needed inner bags for my Givi cases I went into Sports Direct and measured up various Sports bags until I found ones that did the job for me. They don't fit perfectly, but with any stiffening taken out of them, they do mould roughly to the shape of the cases, though do appreciate that the Honda Panniers aren't the easiest shape to fill.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:55 PM
I was asking my Honda dealer about the pannier inner bags the other day.. in addition to the hefty price tag, i seem to recall that they were stated to be 18 litres, or somesuch. That seemed too much wasted space for 29 litre panniers, so I figured bin bags would suffice until I find something better! Cheap sports bags.. good call.  :028:
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline shutler01

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR 800X
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:37:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. Now entered into the 'thinking process'