Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Practical add on's for the CR  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Derby
Practical add on's for the CR
on: February 11, 2017, 02:53:49 PM
Afternoon all.

I take delivery of my CR in early March and want to prepare by pre-ordering the following:
Hugger; fender extender; hand guards.

Having searched the forum there have been many options quoted on all three of the above add on accessories.

I am minded to buy the Honda hugger - it is designed to fit and seems cheaper that the after market alternatives. It doesn't look very long though but then again, nether does the Powerbronze item?

My question is, and I appreciate it is subjective, but of the three items listed above, any feeling for which offers the best performance vs. price? Performance is the most important criteria for all items.
Cogito; Ergo sum. Doesn't explain why I have owned so many bikes though. Addictive, just like crack but more expensive ;-)

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Practical add on's for the CR
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:07:14 PM
In reverse order.....

Most huggers are useless and only cosmetic. Mine is the Powerbronze one. It looks nice.......

Fender extender does stop some of the crap flicking up but not all of it. I still have to wash the radiator and coolers. It is better than not having one.

By far and away the best investment of the three is the handguards. I have the Givi ones.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

VFR800X, NC700X and CB650F.

Offline Throbber

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:32:51 PM
They're all good practical add-ons.  I'd say the hugger is the most practical use as it keeps a lot of crud off the rear shock.  I went for the Pyramid plastics hugger as it seemed to be larger and hopefully provide better protection.  The Honda item does look better but I wasn't sure the protection would be as good.  The fender extender is useful to have - particularly as its pretty cheap.  Having said that, the lower radiator does have a plastic cover which has a solid central strip which does protect the radiator when the front wheel is in the straight-ahead position which is a nice touch from Honda.  I have all 3 items on my bike and I think I would prioritise them as (1) Hugger, (2) fender extender and (3) hand guards. 

Happy riding!

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:34:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have fitted huggers to many bikes over the years, primarily to try and stop the rear shock getting blasted. It occurred to me that the Honda item might protect the shock but do little else. I too looked at the Pyramid hugger as it seems to extend further and hence offer better protection. Pyramid it is then.

Fender extender will be ordered from Pyramid at the same time. I had already settled on the Givi hand guards too. Sound like all three are common additions, much as they are on all adventure style bikes where they are not OEM fitment. Essential for all year round riding IMHO.

I will also fit a set of dog legged adjustable levers to pull the clutch back further towards the bars. My fingers are arthritic and constant clutch work causes pain so its dog leg levers plus the Honda QS to help.

Having been spoilt with the two way QS on the BM's it was the one thing I was concerned about loosing. The reason I bought the AT BTW, the DCT box was fabulous until I tried negotiating tight Alpine hairpins uphill. No clutch resulted in pant filling terror!
Cogito; Ergo sum. Doesn't explain why I have owned so many bikes though. Addictive, just like crack but more expensive ;-)

Offline stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:43 AM
I would add rad guards to the list, whilst I was deliberating whether to fit them I got a something go thro the top rad. I also fitted Powerbronze hugger and Pyramid fenderextenda, plus Givi handguards, I consider all worthwhile.

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:41:24 AM
Great advice - thank you.

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01:55 AM
Incidentally, any views on crash bars or crash bungs? I favour bungs on a bike like the CR as they do not detract too much from the looks of the bike.

Offline Bruggen

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Redhill
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 04:23:21 PM
I've just fitted Evotech crash bungs and fork guards to mine, unfortunately they don't do a swing arm bung so I bought the R&G one. All easy to fit, don't detract from the looks at all.

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 04:54:35 PM

I've fitted Skidmarx Hugger - many problems positioning so as to stop it scuffing the tyre due to vibration. Fender Extender, Givi Hand Guards, Givi Engine Bars, Givi Outback Pannier Frames and Cobrra Nemo-2 Chain Oiler - hopefully that's the lot for now.

recent