Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: URGENT - query about CBS brake system  (Read 2652 times)

Offline KevRide

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 1957 Mobylette
URGENT - query about CBS brake system
on: February 12, 2017, 07:53:22 PM
Evening all. As some of you may know, I'm in the process of writing an article about the Crossrunner for RiDE Magazine. In fact it's just about done, and this forum and its members have been a great help, but I've come across something I need to check before I send it.

The early CR has CBS brakes. But which way are they linked....?
Most of the launch reports I've seen say the rear brake pedal only works the rear brake, and the front lever operates the front brake a bit of back brake.
But posts I've seen on here suggest it's the other way round - rear operates a bit of front brake as well, and front is front only.

I need to get this correct. So who's right?! And on a general note, do people like the system?

Any enlightenment appreciated!

Kev

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: URGENT - query about CBS brake system
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:59:18 AM
Hi Kev,

System is the same as was fitted to the NC700 (X and S).

Regards

Keith
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

VFR800X, NC700X and CB650F.

Offline KevRide

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:36:54 AM
Thanks Keith, that's what I originally thought, but having read various reports which stated the opposite, I was having doubts! And it's so long since I rode a CR that I couldn't remember that level of detail!

So, to double-check: Front lever operates five out of six front pistons. Rear pedal operates rear caliper and one front piston. Except at low speed when computer tells it to only operate the rear caliper.

I think that's right!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:35:39 AM
From a pure terminology perspective it's not called CBS. The proper Honda description is "Combined ABS" or "C-ABS".

Sounds pedantic but thats what Honda call it  :016:

Basically it's CBS with ABS combined. Remember there was a time when there was CBS but bikes did not necessarily have ABS.

Offline KevRide

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:22 AM
Thanks for that - I was using CBS as a generic term! Whatever it's called I'm glad it seems to be going out of fashion. I know some people like it, but I've always loathed it. (runs away and puts on tin hat....).

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:30:19 PM
*Originally Posted by KevRide [+]
Thanks for that - I was using CBS as a generic term! Whatever it's called I'm glad it seems to be going out of fashion. I know some people like it, but I've always loathed it. (runs away and puts on tin hat....).
Whilst I've never ridden an earlier incarnation of Honda's CBS, and I never liked the sound of it, I can't say I've ever noticed that the VFR even has it! Not to say I wasn't aware of it, but that I've never felt that it's there. Then again, I do tend to simultaneously use the brakes at both ends as a matter of routine.. I'm not one to stop using only the front. Riding slowly, using the rear brake to modulate speed, it's not apparent that the front's working a little at the same time.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline KevRide

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:48:04 PM
Half the time, I agree, you don't notice it. But I have always used the rear brake a lot, especially on bikes with less than controlled suspension, to help the settle the rear on the way into a turn, as well as to scrub off excess speed on the way into turns if I've slightly misjudged it, or a hazard pops up. In either case when I use the back pedal, I just want the rear brake, no front. Then there's skid turns on narrow roads, but I accept that for most people that's probably not an issue! If you have ABS it doesn't work anyway, of course. If only you could switch one end off - if I have to have ABS then I'd much rather have it at the front only!

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:50 AM
*Originally Posted by KevRide [+]
Half the time, I agree, you don't notice it. But I have always used the rear brake a lot, especially on bikes with less than controlled suspension, to help the settle the rear on the way into a turn, as well as to scrub off excess speed on the way into turns if I've slightly misjudged it, or a hazard pops up. In either case when I use the back pedal,
Ja, me too... but not all that often, perhaps. I've still never noticed though! I'll make a point to try using the rear brake mid-turn this morning...
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:34 AM

Hope that you aren't referring to the current '15 Crossrunner because this doesn't have linked brakes, one reason for me buying the Bike.

Offline KevRide

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:35 AM
*Originally Posted by JohnG [+]
Hope that you aren't referring to the current '15 Crossrunner because this doesn't have linked brakes, one reason for me buying the Bike.
Don't worry - only referring to the original RC60 version.