Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: low rev stalling after being returned from the dealers  (Read 1848 times)

Offline EvilWomble

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Warrington
low rev stalling after being returned from the dealers
on: February 18, 2017, 06:53:20 PM
Afternoon chaps. Hoping someone may have come across this before to save me a bit of trouble.

In my attempt to be thorough I have rambled a bit, so there is a summary at the bottom so you can skip if you need. Any and all help/advice is appreciated!

Bike - 2015 crossrunner 800
Story - end of October bough the bike from Blackpool Honda. It needed the forks and rocker cover replacing due to corrosion under warranty. Parts were on back order so rode the bike until end of November when it was collected and a CB500x dropped off as a courtesy bike. The Crossrunner got used every day at this point, about 60-70 miles a day.

The day that I was due to get it back I was wiped out by a big digger which put me in hospital with some very bad injuries (broken ribs, punctured lung, severely lacerated spleen, shattered shoulder which is now plated and pinned etc etc etc)

It stayed with Honda until a few days ago when I had it returned.

First time trying to ride after the accident today, and after a short ride it started stalling on low revs when stopping or slowing say for a junction, even with clutch fully pulled in, engine dies, oil light comes on. Push starter, nothing, rev the nuts off it whilst pushing starter and it fires up, but will stall again unless the revs are held high.

It also seemed to struggle when moving up the gears. Move into second gear, open throttle, and it hesitates like its cold or hit the limiter. Same through every gear (this did not happen on the way home - may be temperature related possibly)

I did also notice that when I first started it, it idled very high whilst I was putting my helmet on. And when I dropped off at a mates house, I started it and let idle to demonstrate, and it quickly started idling very rough and smelling of fuel rather then the high idling I had at home.

My thinking was that perhaps the fuel (half tank when picked up and returned) may have possibly gone off. would be a bit quick for it to have done so, but not unfeasible, so I have brimmed it with the expensive fuel from BP and given it a bit of a high rev ride, however due to it being my first time on it after having my shoulder rebuilt, it was shorter then I would like.

My mate has offered to take it for a ride up and down the motorway tomorrow to see if it clears, however I thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

I don't really want to send it back to Honda when i've only just got it back, and can finally ride again, but at the same point i'm still struggling with quite a bit of pain in my shoulder and limited movement, so am a bit limited as to what I can do with regards to twirling spanners, so hopefully someone will have encountered this already and be able to point me in the right direction to save me some time.

Anyway, sorry for the long one, wanted to be thorough. I shall summarise it below for those what want to skip the rambling:

Summary:
Bike: 2015 Crossrunner 800
Mileage 17k ish
-In for warranty work (forks and rocker replacement)
-Left standing for nearly 3 months. returned 3 days ago.
-Started fine. Idled high as it warmed, instead of dropping, revs started to increase (approx. 3k).
-Rode fine for approx. 2-3 mile, started to stall at low revs on approach to junction (1st gear)
-Try to start, cuts out straight away, start with throttle open, fires up and runs as long as revs are high. let revs drop, it stalls again.
-move up a gear, open throttle, hesitates as if cold or hitting a limiter (note - only did this on the way to mates, on the way back it didn't do this)
-Sat whilst having a brew, started, ran ok briefly, started idling rough and smelling of fuel, followed by stalling and the above symptoms again.

Any and all help/advice is appreciated!

Many thanks,
Mike
Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:25:53 PM by EvilWomble

Offline dentonlad

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: low rev stalling after being returned from the dealers
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:16 AM
There's obviously something wrong that needs sorting out.

Whilst it is frustrating to be off the bike take it back to the dealer and get them to fix it. I am sure that they will give you a courtesy bike if they want to keep you as a customer in the future.
Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow - unless it's a bike ride.....

VFR800X, NC700X and CB650F.

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:48 AM
At the very least make the dealer aware of the problem so that they understand that this did not develop after they returned it.  But unless it is a stale fuel issue (seems unlikely to me also), I would ask them to collect it.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:35 AM
*Originally Posted by EvilWomble [+]
Bike - 2015 crossrunner 800
Story - end of October bough the bike from Blackpool Honda. It needed the forks and rocker cover replacing due to corrosion under warranty.
Interesting.. I took mine to the dealer to ask whether I could get the rocker cover's flaking paint fixed under warranty, and was told that Honda said no.

How bad was the corrosion?
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline EvilWomble

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Warrington
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:39 PM
*Originally Posted by v8guy [+]
Interesting.. I took mine to the dealer to ask whether I could get the rocker cover's flaking paint fixed under warranty, and was told that Honda said no.

How bad was the corrosion?

To be honest mate I genuinely cant remember, I was told that the cover and forks needed doing when I went to view it, but because they were in the process of getting done under warranty I never really paid that much attention knowing it was all in the process of getting sorted. The guys who prepped the bike did their best to clean the forks and rocker cover up, and even gave anything scabby a quick lick of paint so it didn't look horrid whilst I was waiting for it to be done. As a result, it was something I really never paid much attention and never stood out enough to catch my eye.

But for what its worth, they definitely told me that the forks were being done due to corrosion up near the yokes, and the rocker due to pain flaking/corrosion, and I know it was done under Honda warranty as they had said they would pay for it themselves if Honda wouldn't do it. With the dinky front mudguard im surprised its not more common. I already have an extender on my to-do list because of it.

Its getting picked up again mid week, so when I get my paperwork back I will see what it says, paperwork is still with them due to the way everything has been a bit up in the air.

As to those who offered advice, I thank you :). as said above, its going back in mid week. As much as id have liked to avoid it after so long not riding, at least its getting sorted. I cant fault the service I've had from the lads at Blackpool Honda. I have however not asked for a courtesy bike, not after I unfortunately gave their last one back to them in several pieces  :087: besides, it was only my first ride since the accident the other day and I'm going to have to build some strength up so whilst it sucks a little, it could be worse.

Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:01:55 PM by EvilWomble

Offline c_stenild

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: VFR800x 2014
  • City / Town: Copenhagen
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:34:27 PM
Hi
I have just experienced the same problem. Was participating in the annual trip to Bakken in Denmark with thousands of others motorcyclists, hot engine low speed driving and three times the engine cuts out! Later it cuts out three times more on this 15 km trips all at low revs. There is no pattern in when it cuts out. Have anyone experienced the same? Where is the fault? It is still under guarantee, but hard to miss it when the season just have started.