Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tank protectors and satnav issues  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Derby
Tank protectors and satnav issues
on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:35 PM
Having completed 600 miles in five days, the bike is now going in for the first service. Strange gear indication failure discussed elsewhere. Average fuel consumption 50 mpg and general impressions very good, so far.

I notice that the front of the tank (as usual with most bikes) is showing sign of minor marking from my jacket. I need a tank protector. A quick look on eBay reveals a few options but they look a bit ugly. Anyone have a tank protector fitted and if so, which one did you use?

Second observation is the position of the TomTom satnav is hopeless. It's almost unreadable, not helped by the very poor mapping contrast, at least compared with Garmin. My intention is to relocate it on a RAM mount - anyone else done this? For what it's worth, I am considering removing the TomTom and fitting my Navigator 5 from my last BMW. Not as user friendly but vastly superior in every other sense.
Cogito; Ergo sum. Doesn't explain why I have owned so many bikes though. Addictive, just like crack but more expensive ;-)

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Re: Tank protectors and satnav issues
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:05 PM
I found the best and most suitable for my CR were KTM parts. See attached photo's
Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:58:46 PM by JohnG

Offline moley

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr 800x
  • City / Town: Harrow
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:10:54 PM
I couldnt find a decent sat nav holder for my 2016 so I had a rummage through some old bracketry in the workshop and made one . It isnt pretty but its rock solid and when I get a chance I will swap the side bars for solid ali brackets and tidy the bolt ends up . Im off across Europe in May so Ill let you know if it stood the test

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:38 PM
I ordered and installed the SW Motech mount that fits between the screen support stays. It seems to suffer vibration and the TomTom mount exaggerates it. I swapped the TomTom for my Garmin Navigator 5 which sits closer to the mount and is easier to read anyway. Off to the Black mountains on Saturday to test it out. If it doesn't work I will use a RAM mount on the handlebars. I purchased and fitted the HRC carbon look tank protector too, which looks good. Not sure if I can post photographs yet but as soon as I can I will show all!
Cogito; Ergo sum. Doesn't explain why I have owned so many bikes though. Addictive, just like crack but more expensive ;-)

Offline Westy 56

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Honda crossrunne
  • City / Town: Hessle
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:15:49 PM
I fitted my ram mount to the brake reservoir housing, thought it might be to close for my eyes but it was spot on, no vibration and it's easier for my wife to see if concentrating when in heavy traffic, my gps is a tomt om 400 so can spin it vertical or horizontal 😉

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 06:37:40 PM
Mine came with a dealer-fitted handlebar RAM mount for the also-supplied TomTom GPS. Doesn't look like the slickest solution but it was free so I'm not complaining.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Adst

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
  • City / Town: Maidstone
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:38:01 PM
i fitted a palmer screen adjuster and satnav bar ; fits above the clocks : perfect position ;
check out my gallery

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:09 PM
I gave up on the SW Motech mount as it was subject to vibration which ultimately loosened several of the mount screws. I subsequently fitted a RAM mount using a RAM ball mount fixing on one of the handlebar clamp bolt positions. Brilliant, cheap and works a treat.

recent