Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Scorpion Trail 2's  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Andy17

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X
  • City / Town: Derby
Scorpion Trail 2's
on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:24 PM
Hi All,

I just read the report in Ride magazine. A little bemused though about the comments re: OEM tyres. Was that a reference to Scorpion Trail 1's? I have to say that mine have seen cold but dry and wet tarmac and have felt good. My last bike, BMW R1200R, has Metzeler Roadtec Z8's, which I thought were excellent. A very good friend of mine who is also the MD of a very large UK tyre distributor, told me the Scorpions and Roadtec's were made in the same factory, Metzeler being owned by Pirelli. In essence and other than tread pattern, he said they were all but the same tyre? So why the complaints about Scorpion 2's?

I appreciate 'one man's meat' and all that but personally the Scorpion 2's feel fine to me?

PS - over the years I have tried just about all tyres. I note with interest that Michelin PR 4's are highly rated. I had a pair on a GS and they offered levels of grip in the wet I have not experienced before or since BUT they are very much puncture prone. I punctured the rear 3 miles after having it fitted courtesy of a hawthorn thorn. The tyre fitter who fitted it told me they were notorious for puncturing due to the very soft carcass construction. Good grip or not, that's not a risk I will take again. Had a similar experience with an Anakee 3, put me off those too. The 3D sipes are great until they got hold of a loose piece of steel strapping on the A5 at DIRFT and ripped a bloody great hole at the edge of the tread! I was on the way to Silverstone for the MotoGP so it wasn't a happy start to the day!!
Cogito; Ergo sum. Doesn't explain why I have owned so many bikes though. Addictive, just like crack but more expensive ;-)

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Re: Scorpion Trail 2's
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:43 PM
I've yet to see the Ride report, but I guess it wasn't just me mentioning the tyres then!

Have to say I found the Scorpion Trail 2s really nice on dry tarmac. Loads of grip and feedback to let you know... but they were lacking in feedback when wet and cold. Not lacking grip, according to the lack of illuminating ABS/TC lights, though... What really highlighted this was going out on my old bike for the first time in the wet, after months of CrossRunner riding last spring. A pair of heavily used Pirelli Diablo Stradas delivered an instantaneous "omg, the grip!!" feeling the moment I went from the gravel drive onto wet tarmac.

The weirdest bit, for me, was that a casual perusal of Ducati Multistrada (resplendent in the very same rubber) forums, revealed no one complaining about wet weather grip. Maybe the Ducati folk prefer not to go out in the rain.. although a guy at work who rides a Hyperstrada, again with those tyres, rides in the wet often and says he really likes them. :027:

Back on the Honda.. a couple of thousand miles into a pair Pirelli Angel GTs, and I'm finding a relatively similar thing, just not nearly as bad. In the dry, they're fabulous.. in the wet, they're merely acceptably OK.

Maybe there's more to it than just the rubber.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline robbie

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr800x
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:42:32 PM
Hi guy's very disappointed today , had my cr about 15 month's now on a 15 plate so it's still got the scorpions fitted ,front tyre totally U,S after only 2700 miles, now going through web sites to try and find some decent quality but cant pay over the odds.   

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:08:11 AM

Hi Robbie, I recently changed the original tyres on my 16 CR to Avon 3D Ultra Sport, good price at £200.00 for the pair including fitting, grip well both wet and dry, chose these as I have Avon's on my other bike and have total confidence in these, so made the decision to go to Avon on the CR. Just back from touring Spain and Portugal on the CR fitted with the Avon's where on very twisty roads and in really heavy rain they were fine.

Your choice at the end of the day, problem is that if you don't like the new tyres you have to put up with them for a relatively long time.

Offline robbie

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: vfr800x
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:11:37 PM
Hi johnG good to hear from you thanks for the info have ordered Avon storms 3D and are having them fitted Tuesday so it's good to get some feed back about them.My son and myself usually take a ride to Western it's a good ride out on a Sunday from where we are.  :046:

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:18:05 AM
Won't need tyres for a while as the bike had fairly new Bridgestone T30 evo's fitted when I bought it no real wet weather running yet! a small front end slide on melting overbanding on tour this year that was fun :114: and the wear so far is good and generally very happy with them, not much of a tyre guru but I have had conti trail attacks on a V Strom replacing the Bridgestone Battle (death) wings horrible, Pr3's on my CBF1000  replacing ageing BT020 well past their best and now T30's on the CR all have been good, time will tell.

Offline Paul13

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Domfront Normand
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:56 PM
Is the ST the tyre that is usually put on by Honda when new?

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 08:55:54 AM
*Originally Posted by Paul13 [+]
Is the ST the tyre that is usually put on by Honda when new?

Yes Paul. They're rubbish.

Metzeler Roadtec 1s are my favourite tyre at the moment. On my third or fourth set.  :028:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Paul13

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Domfront Normand
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 11:32:36 AM
My purchase has a set on. Looks like the rear is newer.

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 12:07:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul13 [+]
My purchase has a set on. Looks like the rear is newer.
Get rid of them before it rains!

They're not so bad in the dry, and their shortcomings in the wet never resulted in an expensive or painful incident for me, but they offer almost zero feedback in the rain.

I switched to Pirelli Angel GTs which were a huge improvement, but lost the rear thanks to a nail and now have a mismatched pair of Pirelli up front and Metzeler Z8 at the rear. I'll be sticking with Metzelers once the front wears out.

Whilst I wouldn't choose to have a mismatched pair, circumstance is what it is... is there are reason why a mismatched pair should be sorted asap?
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST