Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Insurance rant  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Miggs

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Insurance rant
on: April 04, 2017, 02:28:15 PM
Hi,
Seems that making any changes to an insurance policy these days is just open invitation for them to bleed you dry and ream you with a frosty stick of sprouts!
Just paid MCE £105 for a years comp on my BMW 1150. 1 month later I change the bike for this 800 XRunner.
£40.50p admin + extra £69.50 premium increase  :114:
A quote search on their own website reveals annual premium of £130.
Emailed complaints of unfair exploitation fell on deaf ears.  :230:

Naturally I will be insuring my bike elsewhere next year (although i'm sure they all play the same racket!)

Offline tiggy

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Guildford
Re: Insurance rant
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:01:49 PM
Agree with you Miggs, that's well out of order for a few strokes on a keyboard. Weird isn't it going down from 1150 to 800 costs more!
Just changed one of my bike policies and they charged me £22 for a mid-term change, I've gone down from a 450 to 250 (enduro) I would have had a credit of £3 had it not been for their admin charge of £25.
I'm with Hastings Direct, they have been very fair thus far and they paid out on my son's bike theft very quickly too.  :002:

Don't know your circumstances Miggs but £105 didn't sound too bad for the BM when others are paying a lot more.
Think I paid about £110 for my Crossrunner.

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:24:22 PM
My Crossrunner insurance isn't too bad with Carole Nash, but when I told them my classic Ducati had been painted Black and Gold in place of the original blue they wanted to increase the annual premium from £100 to £400. Told them to stuff it so am having the bike professionally sprayed back to original when it will be worth more and they will insure for £100 again.

Offline timbo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: Crossrunner 2016
  • City / Town: Islandmagee,
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:00:44 AM
Same here, With MCE also and change cost me £92, same admin fee plus extra charge for the CR, though I was coming from a 17 year old CBR600, really should have just cancelled the policy and taken a new one, would have been cheaper in the long run.

Offline Kiwi

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2017 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Hobsonville
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:48:43 AM
You think you're being ripped off?, try NZD$990 for comp rider insurance for a fat 50yr old with no claims or tickets and even that price is arranged via Honda, go elsewhere to a normal insurance company and its nearly double - admittedly this for a new 2017 bike, but it's still bleedin expensive   Oh and road tax is NZD$515 for >600cc per year thats before you even ride it....
Cheers D

Offline Miggs

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:55:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Kiwi [+]
You think you're being ripped off?, try NZD$990 for comp rider insurance for a fat 50yr old with no claims or tickets and even that price is arranged via Honda, go elsewhere to a normal insurance company and its nearly double - admittedly this for a new 2017 bike, but it's still bleedin expensive   Oh and road tax is NZD$515 for >600cc per year thats before you even ride it....

Well since your average salary is 75K compared to 50K(NZD) in the UK, maybe that ain't so bad as it sounds!

Offline las800

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 11'CR
  • City / Town: Seixal
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:54:02 PM
For years now I do all my insurances with one insurance broker.
It is way better do deal with him rather than direct contact with insurance company's for all sort of issues.