Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitting Givi HP1139K Hand Protectors  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2017 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Hobsonville
Fitting Givi HP1139K Hand Protectors
on: June 24, 2017, 12:49:59 PM
I thought I would share my experience of fitting the Givi HP1139 hand protectors, if you fit them this may,… or may not help.  The key learning was to remove the internal bung and nut inside the bars as one piece.  Givi instructions assume you will leave the rubber bung and nut inside the handle bars.  I don’t think this a very good idea. 

I found:

Givi instructions sheets…. well not really, more a case of a couple of pieces of A4 where you can play spot your part, in Italian.   No written info just a basic diagram and part 8 (top hat shaped spacer) is drawn the wrong way round for both the left and right hand side fittings.   

The instruction doesn’t show what part 4 (80mm screws) will screw into.  There is a bung and nut that originally is inside both sides of the handlebar.  I think it is better to completely remove the internal bung and nut because in their infinite wisdom Honda have not fixed the rubber bung (see pic 3) and nut to each other.  This means were you to completely unscrew the original Honda hex nut at the end of the handlebar to start removing the Honda aluminium bar end.  The nut will drop off the end of the rubber bung inside the bar and you are royally screwed.  You can’t (easily) get the bung out to reattach the nut.  If the nut is not on the end of the bung you then can’t screw in the new fitting either.  Marvellous.

I recommend you slacken off the hex nut enough to get a C spanner behind the aluminium bar end (pic2) and tap out the whole thing whilst it is all attached (pic 3).
Once out I secured the nut to the rubber bung with a bit of superglue round the outside of the nut (pic4).    Don’t get superglue on the thread.   I then assembled the new Givi fitting as shown in the instructions and added the rubber and nut, wound on part 4 a few turns to hold all the assembly together and then the whole assembly was tapped back into the bar end.  You can then start to tighten up part 4 some more, because the nut is glued in the place the bung is easily squashed, grips the inside the bar allowing the assembly to be fully tightened.

There is stuff all clearance between the part 3 which fits underneath the mirror nuts and the throttle cable adjusters.  If it start to rub to much I may have to put in some spaces to lift part three up and provide more clearance (pic 5).

I bought the Givi hand protectors as Honda now don’t stock their own anymore, well at least in NZ and the Givi protectors appear to provide better protection.  It took a wee while and several mugs of tea, but got there in the end.

Cheers
Cheers D

Offline SFC1000

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Dorset
Re: Fitting Givi HP1139K Hand Protectors
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
I have a set of GIVI HP1139 handguards but no instructions for fitting them.
I do not seem, in the fitting kit, to have two sets of identical parts so I am assuming that I have some wrong parts or the parts for each side are different.
Would someone point me to where I can find the fitting instructions (I have looked on the GIVI website with no luck).
Failing that would someone have a set of instructions that could be scanned and emailed? 
Thank you.

Offline SFC1000

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:46 PM
Please disregard the, above, post as I have just located some instructions on a German website.

Offline stubax

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: VRF800X
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 06:45:29 AM
When I fitted the Givi handguards I ended up bending slightly the black mirror brackets to to give sufficientclearance from the cables, easy to do in situ.

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:48 AM

Me too regarding adjustments to these brackets, other than for this the job went smoothly.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:41 PM
When I (re)fitted my Barkbuster handguards, the nut the OP talks about holding the rubber bung in place is located inside the rubber bung so you can take the bar end bolt out, remove the bar end cap, re-insert the bar end bolt and use a small screwdriver + a little WD40 to release the rubber bung and remove easily by pulling on the bar end bolt.

YMMV.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline SFC1000

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:42 PM
I fitted the hand guards, today, and all went well.
I could not remove the rubber bungs, by loosening the bolts and then pulling on the the bar ends, from inside the bars no matter how I tried.
I carefully unscrewed the bolts all the way and then carefully screwed in the new ones, all was ok.
I can see if the nuts dropped off of the end of the rubber then you could have trouble but all went well for me.
I did have to bend the metal brackets slightly to make the hand guards sit level, when viewed from the front of the bike, but they bend easily and it was only a small amount.
The 'pull' throttle cable sits very closely to the, underside, of the   bracket but I sleeved the bracket with some heat shrink sleeving to stop any chance of it rubbing and the bracket, possibly, rusting.
The throttle cables can be moved by loosening the nuts on the throttle housing but I wanted to keep as straight a run as possible so I only moved them the smallest amount to fit tight to the underside of the bracket.   
Overall I think the hand guards are ok but, for the price, a little flimsy.

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:30:44 PM
*Originally Posted by SFC1000 [+]
I could not remove the rubber bungs, by loosening the bolts and then pulling on the the bar ends, from inside the bars no matter how I tried.

You need to insert a small screwdriver between the rubber bung and the inside of the bar end then squirt some WD40 up the gap. Do this at several points around the rubber bung and it usually releases sufficiently to be pulled out with relative ease. A brief spray of brake cleaner will remove the WD40 so whatever you place back in there will hold tight.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline HenriqueSantos

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
  • City / Town: Lisboa
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:45 PM
Hello.
I purchased a pair of KN1139 handguards (from Kappa, but equal to the Givi ones) and in the next few days i'm hoping to get some free time to install them.

I've never disassembled anything from the handlebars, so i hope everything goes smoothly
 :001: