Author high miles  (Read 5049 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline tubsy

    • Crossrunner Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline tubsy

    • Crossrunner Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: crossrunner
    • City / Town: hull
    • Country: uk
    high miles
    on: July 30, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
    July 30, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
    hi I normally change bike every 2 years but I have been looking around and other then getting the 2017 crossrunner nothing takes my fancy keep coming back to wanting to keep mine its got 21000miles on it now just wondering what kind of mileage people have got on theirs before having any problems bike get serviced regularly

  • Online Skids   gb

    • Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661
    • ****
      #1

    Online Skids

    • Crossrunner Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1661
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    • Country: gb
    Re: high miles
    Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:19:09 pm
    July 30, 2017, 07:19:09 pm
    *Originally Posted by tubsy [+]
    hi I normally change bike every 2 years but I have been looking around and other then getting the 2017 crossrunner nothing takes my fancy keep coming back to wanting to keep mine its got 21000miles on it now just wondering what kind of mileage people have got on theirs before having any problems bike get serviced regularly

    Seeing as the Crossrunner is a direct development of the VFR800 Vtec 02-13 model, I sold my 08 model with 74,000 miles on it virtually trouble free and I serviced it myself. The Vtec was based directly on the 98-01 VFR800 and I had a 98 model VFR800 which saw 130,000 miles on it.

    I don't think there are likely to be any longevity issues with a VFR800 as long as they have the basics done and are kept clean and salt-free.
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

  • Offline gbrand42

    • Crossrunner Member  ‐    43
    • **
      #2

    Offline gbrand42

    • Crossrunner Member
    • **
    • Posts: 43
    • Bike: 2017 VFR800X
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent
    • Country: United Kingdom
    Re: high miles
    Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:25:59 am
    July 31, 2017, 08:25:59 am
    I would expect 100k miles minimum before any significant trouble given regular servicing. Certainly the engine should be fine mechanically although it will inevitably have some outer casing weathering. It will be the chassis items that will show the miles first (swingarm/head bearings, sticky brake calipers, corroded fasteners, fork legs etc) with maybe some trouble with electrical connectors.  The ravages of time can be slowed down by keeping the salt off as Skids says and application of magic lotion of your choice (ACF-50, FS-365 etc)
    Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:30:20 am by gbrand42

  • Offline tubsy

    • Crossrunner Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline tubsy

    • Crossrunner Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: crossrunner
    • City / Town: hull
    • Country: uk
    Re: high miles
    Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:46:20 pm
    July 31, 2017, 07:46:20 pm
    thanx for the replys look like I will be keeping it a bit longer just the way dealers go on 21000 is high mileage so didn't know weather to expect problems

  • Offline Crow

    • Crossrunner Member  ‐    26
    • **
      #4

    Offline Crow

    • Crossrunner Member
    • **
    • Posts: 26
    • Bikes are not just for sunny Sundays
    • City / Town: Afton Down
    • Country: England
    Re: high miles
    Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:05 pm
    July 31, 2017, 10:20:05 pm
    I am up to 69000 miles and the only real problem I have is that I am about to replace the front camchain tensioner again. I have also had to replace a fork leg due to pitting and will have to do the other one at some point. The finish is no where near as good as my '97 vfr750 had.
    2012 Crossrunner
    1969 T120 Bonneville

  • Online Skids   gb

    • Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661
    • ****
      #5

    Online Skids

    • Crossrunner Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1661
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    • Country: gb
    Re: high miles
    Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:04 am
    August 01, 2017, 06:49:04 am
    *Originally Posted by tubsy [+]
    thanx for the replys look like I will be keeping it a bit longer just the way dealers go on 21000 is high mileage so didn't know weather to expect problems

    Dealers go on because they want your money. Most also don't seem to understand just how long a VFR will last when looked after. There are examples with>1/4 million miles and there's a bench-run VFR800 engine somewhere in England with over 1/2 million miles on it.

    You will need to replace the odd item but she'll keep going for a looooooong time yet.  :419:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

  • Offline plumbline

    • Crossrunner Junior  ‐    12
    • *
      #6

    Offline plumbline

    • Crossrunner Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Bedford
    • Country: UK
    Re: high miles
    Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:36 pm
    August 16, 2017, 08:11:36 pm
    So the engine is good for 500k  ... yes that's right ... 500k miles assuming regular oil and filter changes and routine servicing (this engine eluded to by Skids above was in Castrol's technology centre in Pangbourne when I headed up Castrol Global Motorcycles). I have stripped and measured VTEC engines with 300k and 400k where ALL components were well within tolerance. In my experience of 15 years of working on VFR VTEC's they're pretty bulletproof. Weak points are:

    Camchain tensioners
    Thermostats
    Gearboxes - 2nd and 3rd gear ( though this was more of an issue on Gen 1 & 2 engines especially when up changes are done clutchless)

    The usual components will need replacing eventually - Wheel bearings, suspension, clutches, bushes .... and consumables and fluids need to be replaced as necessary (pads, shocks, springs, chain, oil, coolant, brake fluid etc.)

    But other than that Hondas build quality is second to none and these are very durable bikes and MUCH better than most. I'm new to the Crossrunner but have worked on every generation of VFR VTEC and this is my 6th VFR :)

    The perform much better if used regularly (as do all bikes IMHO) ... it keeps everything turning and water away (heat). Regular oil and filter changes will also keep acid wear at a minimum and everything running sweetly.

    Use it but never abuse it and you'll be fine.
    Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:14:20 pm by plumbline

  • Offline Adst

    • Crossrunner Pro  ‐    223
    • ***
      #7

    Offline Adst

    • Crossrunner Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 223
    • Bike: Vfr800x 15 white
    • City / Town: Maidstone
    • Country: United Kingdom
    Re: high miles
    Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:41:50 pm
    August 16, 2017, 08:41:50 pm
    anything over 4000 miles / yr is High Mileage to a dealer used to mr average biker miles : an adventure bike is no different to them ...they just dont want to buy .. only sell .. ignore it .. a good bike does what you need ? .. keep it do trade it!

  • Online Skids   gb

    • Crossrunner Master  ‐    1661
    • ****
      #8

    Online Skids

    • Crossrunner Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1661
    • Bike: 2018 800X
    • City / Town: Hitchin
    • Country: gb
    Re: high miles
    Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:11 pm
    August 16, 2017, 10:01:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by plumbline [+]
    So the engine is good for 500k  ... yes that's right ... 500k miles assuming regular oil and filter changes and routine servicing (this engine eluded to by Skids above was in Castrol's technology centre in Pangbourne when I headed up Castrol Global Motorcycles). I have stripped and measured VTEC engines with 300k and 400k where ALL components were well within tolerance. In my experience of 15 years of working on VFR VTEC's they're pretty bulletproof. Weak points are:

    Camchain tensioners
    Thermostats
    Gearboxes - 2nd and 3rd gear ( though this was more of an issue on Gen 1 & 2 engines especially when up changes are done clutchless)

    The usual components will need replacing eventually - Wheel bearings, suspension, clutches, bushes .... and consumables and fluids need to be replaced as necessary (pads, shocks, springs, chain, oil, coolant, brake fluid etc.)

    But other than that Hondas build quality is second to none and these are very durable bikes and MUCH better than most. I'm new to the Crossrunner but have worked on every generation of VFR VTEC and this is my 6th VFR :)

    The perform much better if used regularly (as do all bikes IMHO) ... it keeps everything turning and water away (heat). Regular oil and filter changes will also keep acid wear at a minimum and everything running sweetly.

    Use it but never abuse it and you'll be fine.

    Welcome buddy!  :031:
    98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles, 08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles, 15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (all sold)
    14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
    18 VFR800X - 16,000 miles
    01 VFR800 Fi-1 - 0 miles (yet)

  • Offline plumbline

    • Crossrunner Junior  ‐    12
    • *
      #9

    Offline plumbline

    • Crossrunner Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: VFR800X
    • City / Town: Bedford
    • Country: UK
    Re: high miles
    Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:23:18 pm
    August 16, 2017, 10:23:18 pm
    Good to be here .... took a Crossrunner to get me back on forums :)

     



    recent