Recent Gallery Images

cleaned for winter

Views: 53
Posted by: Adst
in: Adst

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pillion Seat ?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Northern Monkey

• Crossrunner Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CBR600F
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Pillion Seat ?
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
Hi everyone.

Just regeistered today as i am looking to do some touring for the first time on a motorbike and from what i have read (although i haven't tried one yet !), It would appear the Crossrunner would be the perfect bike for my wife and I, as i want something thats a little bit different from the normal sports tourers, also i love the V4 Sound as i can't afford an RC30 yet, LOL !!.
Anyway what i would like to know is how good is the pillion seat and grabrail on the Crossrunner ?, my wife is a novice as a pillion and she likes to feel secure when she is on the back of a bike, if anyone can let me know what it is like over some distance & the comfort of the pillion seat that would be great.
I will test one as soon as i get the chance but I would just like some sort of idea first, cheers and thanks for reading.

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
Re: Pillion Seat ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forums.

This was the main reason I wanted to bigger bike. My wife was frightened to go on a bike and was very difficult to convince her to join me. We started short tips on the SV650 which has a sporty pillion seat and she didn't like it as it become uncomfortable after half an hour or so.

Once we switched to the CR, it was a totally different story. She feels very comfortable and secure, especially with the top box and larger grab rails. She reckons is like sitting on the sofa by comparison and she never complained about pain or discomfort. More than that, the sound of V-Tec on seems to trigger instant laughter on her side so it's definitely a win :152:

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2011 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »
I can't help with this one as my wife has her own bikes. However as Maxincuk says if you fit the top box this should give her far more confidence as well as giving you more luggage capacity for her essentials when you go touring
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Audere est Facere

Shaunomercy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
Hi northern Monkey.

Ref pillion seat.  Its a nice comfy low seat.  She wont feel like she is sat on a bar stool on the cr.  I had an 18 year break away from bikes.  My friend that got me back into bikes some 6 years back, took me out on her sv650.  I enjoyed being on the bike but when we were filtering through slow traffic on the m6 I was positively terrified.  So I know where she is coming from.  That feeling of being sat on a tall bar stool, powerless, is quite un-nerving at times.

As you are looking at touring, dont bother with the honda luggage unless its free.  For 2 up touring its a bit on the small side, though I suppose it depends if you plan on using hotels or you are going to be camping.  If you plan on camping you may be better off going with givi luggage.

The cr should handle very well loaded 2 up with loaded panniers.  3-4 clicks up on the preload.  Ive not yet done any touring on the cr, but having come from the vfr vtec, and the suspension settings are identical, essentially the same bike, you wont have an issue.

My seat is a bit slippy at the moment, but a very cheap an easy way to solve that, is to get a roll of that rubberised anti slip mat stuff.  Wilkinsons sell it for about a quid a roll.  Just put some round the seat and underneath and it will stop her slipping about.  The top box will give her a nice back rest.  Im sure the seat will improve with use and wear.

Any Questions, feel free to ask.  We have a friendly bunch of folk on here.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:03:10 AM by Shaunomercy »

Offline maxincuk

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Swanley
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shaunomercy [+]
Im sure the seat will improve with use and wear.

Some bike trousers have and anti slip patches in between legs which are supposed to help. And probably best not to use waxes or polishes on the seat ... (Mr Sheen BTW make very good gliding surfaces as I recently discovered ... :138:)

Shaunomercy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »
What everyone will agree on here and im sure you will find coming from a sports bike is the cr is actually more fun, more of the time.  Sports bikes are great, but generally only fun when really pushing on.

The cr is the first honda in years I think that has fun written through its dna.  The vfr vtec was fun, at silly speeds, when pushing on.  The cr on the otherhand, with the retuned vtec and other engine mods is fun to ride at any speed all of the time.

Paul

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
What everyone will agree on here and im sure you will find coming from a sports bike is the cr is actually more fun, more of the time.  Sports bikes are great, but generally only fun when really pushing on.

The cr is the first honda in years I think that has fun written through its dna.  The vfr vtec was fun, at silly speeds, when pushing on.  The cr on the otherhand, with the retuned vtec and other engine mods is fun to ride at any speed all of the time.

Paul

I agree with you about the CR being more fun than a sports bikes more of the time but another Honda that I found great fun was the CB1300S which is why I had 2 of them
Audere est Facere

danesman

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
I used to ride a Daytona 650, great fun. The Xrun is also great fun with one big plus factor and that is comfort. No back ache after an hour's riding  :046:

Offline Will vZ

• Crossrunner Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: VFR800X/Vulcan S
  • City / Town: Castel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
Hi northern Monkey.

As you are looking at touring, dont bother with the honda luggage unless its free.  For 2 up touring its a bit on the small side, though I suppose it depends if you plan on using hotels or you are going to be camping.  If you plan on camping you may be better off going with givi luggage.

I would agree with Shaunomercy about the Givi luggage, as the Honda luggage has about half the capacity. It's a dead comfy touring bike though.

Offline Rocker66

• Crossrunner Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
True the Givi luggage is excellent stuff. However in personal view the bulk of it would make the CR look very unbalanced with a tall & wide rear compared with the slim front. To a certain extent the Honda luggage does this but I think that the Givi would make it even more so. Unless you can Givi in matching colours (no problem if you have a black CR) the luggage would look even bulkier especially on a white CR. It depends how vital the luggage is to you whether or not this is a consideration.
As I said the above is completely a personal opinion and I'm sure you will all have your own view point on this
Audere est Facere

recent