Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Newbie needs advice...  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Red Leader

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800Fi VFR800X
  • City / Town: Carlisle
Newbie needs advice...
on: February 03, 2018, 08:07:46 PM
Hi All, I'm not new to VFR800's, having had one since 1998, and still have it and will never sell it! Still looks like new after many trips to Spain. Had others since and now in the process of swapping my latest VTEC for a Crossrunner due to older bones and a more comfy ride and I'd appreciate any advice from you.
I'm in the process of collecting bits! Bike (mark 2 ex demo in red) should arrive week after next.
What hugger do you recommend? Thinking Honda hugger unless you say different. Looks simple and neat but comments say it does the job.
More important, what engine bars? On my viffers I use R&G crash bungs but fancy more adventure style bars. Choice between Givi and SW-Motech. I think the Honda bars are more just for fitting aux lights? At the moment I fancy Givi, but only seen pics of both, not seen them in the flesh. Anyone had to use them in anger?
Aux lights. Honda seem expensive when all bits required are added together. Any positive comments for Givi LED aux lights? Any positive comments about any other aux LED lights, preferably cheaper! :)
All advice much appreciated.
Cheers
Don

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Re: Newbie needs advice...
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:17 PM
Hi Don.

I have the Powerbronze hugger. Can't comment on how much better or worse it is than standard. I also have the Givi bars and aux lamps. Very happy with both. Bars looked more substantial than the SW-Motech ones so I got those instead. Used them in anger the week after I fitted them when she went over on the driveway.  :012:

Lamps fill in the dark area below the headlamp and massively aid conspicuity. You could probably buy cheaper, but then you'd probably get cheaper.  :027:

Best of luck.  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Red Leader

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:29:04 PM
Thanks for quick reply! That's the advice I was looking for!
Cheers!

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Hi Don.

I have the Powerbronze hugger. Can't comment on how much better or worse it is than standard. I also have the Givi bars and aux lamps. Very happy with both. Bars looked more substantial than the SW-Motech ones so I got those instead. Used them in anger the week after I fitted them when she went over on the driveway.  :012:

Lamps fill in the dark area below the headlamp and massively aid conspicuity. You could probably buy cheaper, but then you'd probably get cheaper.  :027:

Best of luck.  :031:

Mine is set up the same as yours Skids, Givi everything - Engine Bars, Driving Lights (non LED) and Handlebar Lever Guards. Also Givi Trekker Outback Panniers, Top Box and Mounting Frame. Plus the Powerbronze Hugger (very good quality and mountings) though find this allows a lot more spray to settle over the remote Spring Preload Adjuster and rear of the bike than the Skidmarx one I fitted initially that cracked and didn't fit very well.

And no, I don't have shares in Givi, just find their kit good quality at a fair price providing you shop around. Just bought the S310 Driving Lights from a company in Naples, Italy at £95.00 plus £10.99 UPS delivery and received them in four days from placing my order. A lot of UK companies are charging £135.00 plus.

Offline Red Leader

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:22:21 PM
Sound advice guys thanks.
Wondering, has anyone tried lowering the bike a bit by moving the rear suspension triangles round?
With Viffers it's moving the triangles from arrows pointing forward to arrows pointing rear and up?
I know you can get Lust Racing lowering triangles, but might not need it lowered quite that much.

Offline mplacona

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 17’ 800X
  • City / Town: London
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:42:36 PM
Hi mate  :400: !

Mine is arriving next week.

Went for GIVI crash bars as they seem to be the ones which will actually protect the bike. Honda doesn't sell crash bars but fog light holders.

For rear hugger I got Pyramid. Had it on my previous bike, they are the longest ones protecting more.
Decided to go for GIVI handgaurds after some advice received in this forum. Have a brand new pair of Acerbis with LED but don't think they would look good, too many lights at high level.
Planning on getting GIVI lights once the bike arrives. Will try to install myself if I find a suitable place to do the job.

Offline JohnG

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR800XF
  • City / Town: Weston-sup-Mare
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Red Leader [+]
Sound advice guys thanks.
Wondering, has anyone tried lowering the bike a bit by moving the rear suspension triangles round?
With Viffers it's moving the triangles from arrows pointing forward to arrows pointing rear and up?
I know you can get Lust Racing lowering triangles, but might not need it lowered quite that much.

I found that for me with a 29" inside leg having the seat adjusters set high at the front and low at the rear works best, in particular because it makes the seat level and I don't slip forward on it. Besides this I fitted a "Jaws" Footrest lowering kit meant for a Blackbird, that drops the Pegs by about 30mm, gives a better relationship between seat, knees and pegs and once fitted looks part of the Bike (£35.00 ish) I have posted photo's of this mod in the past so you should be able to search and find them if interested.

If you can lower the rear by adjusting the suspension Links it would help if you can drop the front Fork Tubes the same amount, but I don't know if this is possible without parts clashing when braking hard and the Forks fully compressed, so if you do lower the front you better check this out completely before riding! Lowering the suspension will also make it more difficult to get the Bike onto its Centre Stand.

Offline Red Leader

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:40:06 PM
My inside leg is just slightly shorter than yours, so should manage ok. I did lower my VTEC using Lust Racing triangles which required me to obtain a spare side stand and shorten it and pushing the forks through about 10mm and was fine. If I can manage I don't want to lower the CR quite so much. I'll have a good play when it arrives! Interested with the footrest lowering kit too! I've had stuff from Jaws in the past! Thanks for that

And Hi MP..., You'll be getting yours just before mine then! Interesting to see how we get on :)

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:48:58 AM
*Originally Posted by mplacona [+]
Will try to install myself if I find a suitable place to do the job.

Do you not have a garage?

I'm 30 mins up the A1 (J10) with a garage, ramp and quite a few tools. You are welcome to ride up and make use of the facilities if you can't find anywhere else.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline mplacona

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 17’ 800X
  • City / Town: London
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:36:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
Do you not have a garage?

I'm 30 mins up the A1 (J10) with a garage, ramp and quite a few tools. You are welcome to ride up and make use of the facilities if you can't find anywhere else.

I’ll keep that in mind Skids.  When the bike arrives and I get a chance I might pop in, would also benefit from your experience installing these bits.  :031:

recent