Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: VALVE CHECK /ADJUST  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Re: VALVE CHECK /ADJUST
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 10:45:10 AM
I usually follow the manufacturer’s recommended intervals, the exception being time-related ones that I don’t believe are needed eg time related valve clearances. That said, I do wonder how many modern Japanese bikes have actually burned out valves as a result of failure to re-shim. I know that several VFR owners simply don’t bother and the engines are still good at 100k miles. Whilst I shall follow the 24k intervals I would put valve clearance inspections well behind regular oil and filter changes as a determinant of engine longevity.

Offline SXHighwayman

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800X 2016
  • City / Town: INGATESTONE
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 12:01:25 PM
Anyone know if its retrospective though - as in for 15/16 bikes (Like mine) is it now 24k or are we recommended just to budget to do it at 16k as originally specified. I have another 9k before that so not imminent either way.

Offline Crosspurpose

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:24 PM
That's a tricky one. I suppose the definitive answer must come from Honda. FWIW a good friend of mine has just bought a low mileage 2016 VFR800F (same engine). He intends to adopt the latest regime on the basis that the change has little to do with any changes to valve seat materials, rather that it is a response to other manufacturers generally adopting extended valve servicing. IMHO there's no need to check the valves at 16,000 miles, especially if the bike is a keeper, but it has to be your call.