Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag  (Read 5617 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wultan

  • Crossrunner Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Singapore
  • Country: Singapore
2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
on: March 26, 2018, 03:34:46 AM
Hi everyone. I've recently fitted a Wilber's rear shock and was wondering if anyone here has measured and set their rider's sag? My usual setting is 1/3 of the overall travel. The crossrunner is speced at 148mm rear axle travel and 1/3 makes approx. 50mm but I find it a little high and vague in the rear.

Increasing the sag to 60mm (or 40% of total travel) makes it much better to ride but I do not want to risk bottoming.

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Offline Notgotone

  • Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 166
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 07:36:35 AM
Hi did you get the rear sprung for your weight? had a look at the Wilbers web site and no mention of spring rate plus what ever you do to the rear will effect the front as well and vise versa, is the front standard.
I started the journey for a better ride last year as the front felt very harsh over high speed bumps in some cases throwing my hands off the bars went to a local specialist who politely as he could told my riding weight KG105 was overwhelming the springs and could not get ride height correct and that was without touring luggage and /or pillion. I now have a new rear shock with matched spring and waiting for a cartridge kit for the front sprung for my weight and better hydraulic adjustment for a smoother ride.
Have a look at Dave Moss vids on youtube very interesting and good luck.

Offline wultan

  • Crossrunner Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Bike: 2015 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Singapore
  • Country: Singapore
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:47:52 AM
*Originally Posted by Notgotone [+]
Hi did you get the rear sprung for your weight? had a look at the Wilbers web site and no mention of spring rate plus what ever you do to the rear will effect the front as well and vise versa, is the front standard.
I started the journey for a better ride last year as the front felt very harsh over high speed bumps in some cases throwing my hands off the bars went to a local specialist who politely as he could told my riding weight KG105 was overwhelming the springs and could not get ride height correct and that was without touring luggage and /or pillion. I now have a new rear shock with matched spring and waiting for a cartridge kit for the front sprung for my weight and better hydraulic adjustment for a smoother ride.
Have a look at Dave Moss vids on youtube very interesting and good luck.

My weight, luggage weight, pillon weight, riding styles, riding habits were taken down during the ordering process. It was like a medical review. Spring and damping rates (shim stacks) in the rear shock were fully customized to the information i provided to them. It's loads better than stock but now, I'm trying to perfect the sag numbers.

Am also considering Race Tech gold valves for the front. The high speed compression is way too harsh.

Offline Notgotone

  • Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 166
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:26 AM
 :062: thankfully the after market suspension parts are slowly getting out there which is good news as the stock stuff is pants imho of course and I don't expect everyone to agree but the front end in particular is woefully harsh. 

Online Skids

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1279
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
  • Country: UK
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Notgotone [+]
:062: thankfully the after market suspension parts are slowly getting out there which is good news as the stock stuff is pants imho of course and I don't expect everyone to agree but the front end in particular is woefully harsh.

If you are interested in fettling the suspension, have you tried contacting MC Technics in Stowmarket? They did my VFR1200 and did a fantastic job on upgrading the suspension (bespoke fork inners, Wilbers rear shock). They may not have any experience with the 800X directly, I don't know, but they do know their stuff and they're not far from Essex.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Notgotone

  • Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 166
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:25 AM
Hi Skids my suspension is ongoing I now have a Nitron rear shock and soon new cartridges which I hope will solve my problems, I was happy with the rear but could not get the numbers right after new springs in the front hence the new shock, I had the budget for some work and accessories when I bought the bike which I must keep for some years to come or risk the wrath of SWMBO  :020: :230: lol

Offline v8guy

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:39:37 PM
*Originally Posted by wultan [+]
My weight, luggage weight, pillon weight, riding styles, riding habits were taken down during the ordering process. It was like a medical review. Spring and damping rates (shim stacks) in the rear shock were fully customized to the information i provided to them. It's loads better than stock but now, I'm trying to perfect the sag numbers.

Am also considering Race Tech gold valves for the front. The high speed compression is way too harsh.
I've never measured the sag with me sitting on the bike, so can't really help there.

I totally recommend the Race Tech stuff up front though.. transforms the bike and sorts out the high-speed compression issue very nicely.  :028:
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Micku

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 800
  • City / Town: Northwest
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:15:59 PM
Good evening All
Hope you don't mind me asking for help about my Crossrunner suspension, it has some relevance. I'm in the process of fine tuning my bike but don't quite understand the meaning of the info from Honda;
 
Front suspension:   43mm HMAS cartridge-type telescopic fork with stepless preload and ten DF
                                adjustment, 108mm axle travel
Front wheel travel:   145 mm (5.7 inches)
Rear suspension:   Pro-Link with gas-charged HMAS damper, 7-step (stepless remote-controlled
                                hydraulic) preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment, 120mm axle travel
Rear wheel travel:   148 mm (5.8 inches)

My question is what is meant by Front Wheel travel because there is only about 145mm of fork tube between the top of the slider and the triple clamp.
Do I take it that the maximum movement from fully extended before bottoming out is 108mm.

Thanks

Regards

Mick

Offline v8guy

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:37:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Micku [+]
Good evening All
Hope you don't mind me asking for help about my Crossrunner suspension, it has some relevance. I'm in the process of fine tuning my bike but don't quite understand the meaning of the info from Honda;
 
Front suspension:   43mm HMAS cartridge-type telescopic fork with stepless preload and ten DF
                                adjustment, 108mm axle travel
Front wheel travel:   145 mm (5.7 inches)
Rear suspension:   Pro-Link with gas-charged HMAS damper, 7-step (stepless remote-controlled
                                hydraulic) preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment, 120mm axle travel
Rear wheel travel:   148 mm (5.8 inches)

My question is what is meant by Front Wheel travel because there is only about 145mm of fork tube between the top of the slider and the triple clamp.
Do I take it that the maximum movement from fully extended before bottoming out is 108mm.
My guess is that the quoted 145mm travel refers to the range of movement measured along the fork leg, and the 108mm axle travel refers to the range of movement measured in the vertical plane (ie perpendicular to the floor).
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Micku

  • Crossrunner Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 800
  • City / Town: Northwest
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: 2015 Crossrunner Rider's Sag
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:14:44 PM
Good evening v8guy

Thanks for your insight into this problem. My issue is that I'm getting about 105mm travel of the slider along the tube so this is one possibility for the 108mm measurement. If the rake angle is 26.5 and the perpendicular movement was 108mm this would give about 120mm along the Hypotenuse. I can't fit the 145mm Front wheel travel in anywhere.
This is the problem with having the same model of bike for the last 20 years and not needing to keep up with the newer jargon.

Regards

Mick

 

 



recent