Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tank Bag  (Read 6995 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
  • Bike: 2011 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Tank Bag
on: April 03, 2018, 02:33:34 PM
I'm busy looking for a tank bag for my 2016 CR and settle on the Givi ST602 to then find out Givi don't make a tanklock ring for the CR???

Does anyone know why?
Has anyone tried a different ring i.e VFR800F and re-drilled the holes if required?  :027:

I've ordered the bag from my local dealer and an 800F ring to see how they marry up - i'm guessing it may be down to interference with the bars but happily stand to be corrected.

If my method works, i'll update everyone with pics too  :084:

I know some have used SW Motech and other bags but I much prefer the Givi bag and i'm reluctant to give up if I can make it work another way

Offline Skids

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1314
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 06:43:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
I'm busy looking for a tank bag for my 2016 CR and settle on the Givi ST602 to then find out Givi don't make a tanklock ring for the CR???

Does anyone know why?
Has anyone tried a different ring i.e VFR800F and re-drilled the holes if required?  :027:

I've ordered the bag from my local dealer and an 800F ring to see how they marry up - i'm guessing it may be down to interference with the bars but happily stand to be corrected.

If my method works, i'll update everyone with pics too  :084:

I know some have used SW Motech and other bags but I much prefer the Givi bag and i'm reluctant to give up if I can make it work another way

I wanted Givi but discovered they don't do the ring for the X so bought SW-Motech instead.

I think the problem you will find with the F ring is that the F tank does not slope down like the X so it doesn't allow the bag to be set back like the SW-Motech one does, so, as you say, I think it will interfere with the bars.

Best of luck though.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
  • Bike: 2011 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Skids [+]
I wanted Givi but discovered they don't do the ring for the X so bought SW-Motech instead.

I think the problem you will find with the F ring is that the F tank does not slope down like the X so it doesn't allow the bag to be set back like the SW-Motech one does, so, as you say, I think it will interfere with the bars.

Best of luck though.
Cheers Skids.

Does the SW bag have an entry point for charging items inside the bag e.g. phone?
I liked the option of being able to view the phone on the Givi bag therefore could use it as my sat nav with being able to charge as i'm riding - i'm still not happy with the factory sat nav after moving it to the screen bracket with the SW mount (too much vibration still) so was looking at discarding it and using my phone.
Have the feet on the SW mount made any marks on your tank?
Your bag looks a similar size to the Givi one - was the price (inc mounting bracket) comparable?

Offline Skids

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1314
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:26:11 PM
Yes, it has an entry hole, you can see it in the photo, it's the orange coloured bit.

No marks at all.

Can't remember how much it was, got it at the bike show.

TT is a much better Sat Nav than the phone, it's a shame you can't find a happy place to mount it.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline reasty

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 569
  • Bike: CR-750fj-Fat boy
  • City / Town: Croydon
  • Country: uk
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 06:41:35 PM
I tried the sw mount and also found it vibrated. My ram mount is now attached to the mirror stalk and problem solved

Offline Snowboy

  • Crossrunner Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Blandford Forum
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:49:40 AM
I have a Givi XS319 on my 2017 CR......It needed some modification in order to work....so, I drilled new holes for the ring bracket ...as far forward as I could. The Givi now sits on the ring without any problems.....no issues with full lock touching the bag....

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
  • Bike: 2011 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:31 AM
*Originally Posted by Snowboy [+]
I have a Givi XS319 on my 2017 CR......It needed some modification in order to work....so, I drilled new holes for the ring bracket ...as far forward as I could. The Givi now sits on the ring without any problems.....no issues with full lock touching the bag....
Music to my ears Snowboy - any chance you could put some pics up please?

Offline Snowboy

  • Crossrunner Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: crossrunner
  • City / Town: Blandford Forum
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:36:55 AM
Hope this helps....

Offline Skids

  • Crossrunner Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1314
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:56:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Snowboy [+]
I have a Givi XS319 on my 2017 CR......It needed some modification in order to work....so, I drilled new holes for the ring bracket ...as far forward as I could. The Givi now sits on the ring without any problems.....no issues with full lock touching the bag....

Hi Snowboy; so you drilled extra holes in the base of the bag? Is that correct?

I have Givi Tanklock bags on my 1200 and if I can get the mini bag to fit my X, I prefer that to the SW-Motech bag.

Any chance of pics with the bag on the bike with the steering central and at full lock please?

Cheers.  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

Offline Beetlejuice

  • Crossrunner Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 116
  • Bike: 2011 CR800X
  • City / Town: Northumberland
  • Country: UK
Re: Tank Bag
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:00:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowboy [+]
I have a Givi XS319 on my 2017 CR......It needed some modification in order to work....so, I drilled new holes for the ring bracket ...as far forward as I could. The Givi now sits on the ring without any problems.....no issues with full lock touching the bag....

I thought you meant drilling new holes in the ring bracket on the fuel tank rather than the bag? More pics Snowboy pleeeeeaaaaase  :001: