Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Failing battery  (Read 1532 times)

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Failing battery
on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:25 PM
After having not ridden for a month or more, thanks to a sprained ankle, I took it out for a ride this morning. I'd left my bike connected up to the battery (I have parasitic drain issues) for a few too many days before I was fit enough to hobble outside and disconnect it, so was expecting it to be low enough to need a jump. This morning, I reconnected it, jumped it off the car and off I went for a short ride [1].

Here's some observed fails in normal operation when the battery's low:

* flickering lights (headlamps, rear lights, idiot lights, display - everything) - observed with very low battery

I waited until this had stopped before taking it out on the road, as doing so in the past did not end well... broke down within 2 miles of my house as the battery was hosed and not charging.

However, I did set off with the following symptoms, mostly discovered a mile or more down the road:

* permanently flashing ABS lamp - very low to low battery level
* no indicators - very low to low battery level
* no VTEC operation - very low to low battery level

This last one surprised me.. at ~6700rpm, the engine mostly cut out, all the lights on the dash flashed at me, and the expected majestic surge forwards did not manifest, at all! Quite the opposite. Close the throttle and it returns to normal operation.

So, if any of these are happening.. check your battery!

[1] had an appointment, and pissing about getting it started took longer than expected, so couldn't get a longer ride. I paid for this in waiting (in all my gear in the hot sun) for the nice RAC man to arrive to jump start me a second time. As luck would have it, my afternoon was free and the sun was shining, so after waiting for the lights to quit flickering again, I hit the roads for a few hours. Bike (and me) happy again.  :028:
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Lampie

• Crossrunner Member
  • Hyper(pro) Crossrunner
  • Bike: vfr800x 2015
  • City / Town: Alphen ad Rijn
Re: Failing battery
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:32:42 AM
My battery lasted 2,5 years and 45000km   
Same effect , lights went out while starting and one time the things on the dash and no vtec

replaced it, no problems anymore.

VFR800x 2015
70450 km

Offline v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 R1200RS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:50:04 AM
*Originally Posted by Lampie [+]
My battery lasted 2,5 years and 45000km   
Same effect , lights went out while starting and one time the things on the dash and no vtec

replaced it, no problems anymore.
My first battery managed about 2.5 years (assuming it was never changed as a demo bike) and around 10000 miles. This is my second one. I just hope that it running so low hasn't killed it! I'll get the multimeter out later and see how it's faring under charging load. The recovery dude was a bit baffled as the charging voltage fluctuated quite a lot when we jump started it, but I'll check it again now it's more healthy.

I guess I was surprised by the VTEC issue because I must've assumed it was mechanically driven, but I'm surprised it's smooth operation is so dependent on available battery power.
Current: BMW R1200RS, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, 2015 Honda VFR800X

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:42 AM
Interesting....21000 miles and 2 1/2 years old and the battery is still working as the day I got it.

I suppose my 104 mile per day commute helps.

If you ride shorter distances, less often, in town (mine's all dual carriageway) then I'd recommend a battery tender. I use Optimate, mainly for the 1200 over the winter when she isn't ridden but there are others.
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

recent