Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tyres  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Tyres
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 01:38:00 PM
Sorry, but the answer is rather simpler than the suggestions above.

The owners handbook for the Mk1 Crossrunner recommends 33/36 PSI. 

For the record I run mine on 36/42 PSI because it handles like a pig at the lower recommended pressures.  Yes Skids you really can tell the difference and the lower pressures do not make it feel like a racer....unless that racer has shot suspension and a drunk rider.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800f-x
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:38 AM
Does it not strike you guys as odd that tyre manufacturers usually quote only one set of pressures for the bike, irrespective of bike, loaded weight and usage? Cars nearly always quote different pressures, dependant on the number of passengers and luggage. Yet the percentage change to overall vehicle weight is far greater on a bike.
I know that bike tyres are very high tech but this absence of information has always annoyed me.

My previous example of a Triumph Street Triple or Yamaha MT-07, both using the same size of tyres as the Crossrunner, also run at the same pressures, regardless of load despite the machines weighing about 70kg less than the identically shod CR. Having ridden several lightweight bikes that use the 120/70/R17 - 180/55/R17 combination, I found them to be very harsh when running at 36F/42R. The handling was razor-sharp but feeling every pimple on the road just wore you down. No matter how the suspension was set up, you always felt like you were dancing over the top of road irregularities rather than following them.

It is interesting to note from Si Click's advice, that the official Honda book values for the pre-2015 models did not provide the best handling, whereas 36F/42R did. That poses another dilemma - since 36F/42R are not the recommended pressures for that model year, would this compromise the insurance/legal position, even though the bike handled better?

Motorcycle tyres are indeed strange things - alas, there are more questions than answers. I have spoken with the Technical Departments of the main four tyre manufacturers regarding bike pressures but all give the same stock answer that I could have found on their websites. Continental were a little more flexible but still vague and reticent to deviate from 'book' values. None of them answered my question concerning overall weight/pillion/luggage etc.

I suspect that it is a legal work-around. If you stay within 10% of recommended pressures you will probably find a sensible pressure for your weight and style and keep within the Law.  Maybe . . . ??  Good Luck!
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Offline Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 09:49:43 PM
I recently purchased a 2015 CR with 750miles on clock wearing the original OE Scorpion rubber
I have now added 5k all touring miles including two trips to Scotland
The issue is the front tyre is scrubbed, the shoulders are gone
There is probably 2k left on the back tyre
Is this normal wear
Tyre pressure has been as book 36f ...42r
Cheers
Newbs
Current Bikes
VFR 800 X 2015 and BMW R850GS 1999
Previous bikes
Too many to mention in 46 wonderful years of riding on the road ,  everyone of them have given my stacks of fun and satisfaction

Offline Lars

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: RC 80 - 2015
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 06:02:03 AM
Hello Newbs,

the original tyres on the CR are pretty... rubbish when it comes to longevity. I just looked it up, on my CR they lasted 5266 km - 3272 miles, so your set did quite good.
Personally I never mess with the pressure. I make sure its exactly as it says in the manual which is just like you stated 36 psi front 42 psi rear.

Generally when it comes to tyres and wear there is no general "normal" as it completely depends on your style of riding, where you ride, weights, how you brake how you accelerate and so on. So you will have to figure out how fast you wear a set of tyres with your individual style of riding.

My recommendation for a new set would be the Michelin Road 5 - my current favourite but everyone has their own.

Lars

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 07:17:44 AM
I agree completely with Lars above.

I replaced my Scorpions as quickly as I could; they gave me no confidence at all.

My current favourite is the Metzeler Roadtec 1 for all weather road riding.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Online v8guy

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2015 CrossRunner
  • City / Town: London
Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 08:26:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Newbs1ok [+]
I recently purchased a 2015 CR with 750miles on clock wearing the original OE Scorpion rubber
I have now added 5k all touring miles including two trips to Scotland
The issue is the front tyre is scrubbed, the shoulders are gone
There is probably 2k left on the back tyre
Is this normal wear
I had the same with the Scorpions - the front was wrecked long before the rear. Mine mostly suffered from degradation in the centre of the tyre.

With the Angel GTs that replaced them, I found similar although the rear was lost to a puncture before I could really say for sure the front was worn out before the rear. Again, deformation of the front's centre was very evident.

I'm now running Metzeler Z8s. They were not fitted at the same time, thanks to the puncture that forced me to change the rear, but not so far apart. We'll see how they fare..

As for tyre wear and riding style, I'd agree with Lars above, but I've been through a handful of bikes and I've not experienced fronts wearing out first before.
Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:29:39 AM by v8guy
Current: 2015 Honda VFR800X, 2003 Yamaha TDM900
Past: Honda CLR125, Honda CB500, Triumph Sprint Sport, Honda VFR750FS, Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - HST

Offline Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 03:42:37 PM
Wow Lars you must have been skinning your bike  :008: to get that low mileage out of them :-)

I know I ride pretty hard  ( and I counter steer) through the corners but even on my other bike a   2000 R850GS I get about 7.5k miles before the front is shredded and that is with Metz Tourance

Anyway I have ordered a pair of PR 4s which I have used in the past and have been happy with as an all round tyre

I hope to update you on they longevity in due course ( lest hope not too soon )

Thanks for all the advice

Keep safe

Newbs
Current Bikes
Previous bikes
Too many to mention in 46 wonderful years of riding on the road ,  everyone of them have given my stacks of fun and satisfaction

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 04:01:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Newbs1ok [+]
Wow Lars you must have been skinning your bike  :008: to get that low mileage out of them :-)

I know I ride pretty hard  ( and I counter steer) through the corners but even on my other bike a   2000 R850GS I get about 7.5k miles before the front is shredded and that is with Metz Tourance

Anyway I have ordered a pair of PR 4s which I have used in the past and have been happy with as an all round tyre

I hope to update you on they longevity in due course ( lest hope not too soon )

Thanks for all the advice

Keep safe

Newbs

I used to use PR4s but found the newer generation tyres, Roadtec 1s are my choice, handle damp conditions and wet overbanding much better. If yr able to change your order, I would recommend them far more than the PR4, especially with the wetter weather approaching.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 04:19:27 PM
Hi Skids
Many thank for the advice

Sadly I am not a position to change my order as my mate has placed the order and will have them delivered Thursday lunch time and will fit them Thursday eve for me.

I have no slack as am away again on Friday morning

As I am retired I no longer commute so only tour and have days out when the weather is nice so I feel the PR4s will be fine

But  I will consider your  kind suggestion when they need replacing

( what sort of mileage do you get with them )

Keep safe

Newbs

Current Bikes
Previous bikes

Offline Newbs1ok

• Crossrunner Member
Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 08:31:18 PM
As an interim report on the PR4s

Had them fitted Thursday evening and the caveat from my mate was the usual "take it easy for hundred miles or so"

Well at 8am Friday morning I was off to Snowdonia for a long weekend reunion with my school mates who still ride ( 46 yrs legally on the road that's each and not an acumalative number ) yes we are olde gits but still get about a  g couple times a year including European trips on a strange mix of bikes , VFR 800x , zzr1400,cb1300 and a r1200rs.
In our group are two ROSPA instructors, an ex Police Pursuit rider and someone has had no training after passing his test at 17 1/2 so we are a mixed group !!!!

Anyway from the off the PR4s were excellent , rode over 850miles on everything from Motorways to unclassified goat tracks beside olde slate mines and never had a moment of concern about the tyres and as we all know this weekend has been an extremely wet autumnal weekend not only in Wales but the rest of the country aswell.

One evening in the bar we discussed the issue of what was the best tyre to fit and we were all in agreement that it's a personal choice

One thing we did discuss was the poor wear of the OE Pirelli Scorpions and we all agreed  that the fact that they were 4 years olde and had only done 750 miles they had obviously degenerated due to age

One of my mates had a similar experience with a CB 1300 he bought with really low mileage which had sat in a garage, he said the OE tyres were scrubbed early doors and he changed them like for like and they new ones were excellent

Anyway had a wet but wonderful weekend

Hopefully my next update will be on the longevity of the tyres

Stay safe

Newbs

Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:52:37 PM by Newbs1ok
Current Bikes
Previous bikes