Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tyres  (Read 2744 times)

Online Si Click

• Crossrunner Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Re: Tyres
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 01:38:00 PM
Sorry, but the answer is rather simpler than the suggestions above.

The owners handbook for the Mk1 Crossrunner recommends 33/36 PSI. 

For the record I run mine on 36/42 PSI because it handles like a pig at the lower recommended pressures.  Yes Skids you really can tell the difference and the lower pressures do not make it feel like a racer....unless that racer has shot suspension and a drunk rider.
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Scimitar

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: VFR800f-x
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Re: Tyres
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:38 AM
Does it not strike you guys as odd that tyre manufacturers usually quote only one set of pressures for the bike, irrespective of bike, loaded weight and usage? Cars nearly always quote different pressures, dependant on the number of passengers and luggage. Yet the percentage change to overall vehicle weight is far greater on a bike.
I know that bike tyres are very high tech but this absence of information has always annoyed me.

My previous example of a Triumph Street Triple or Yamaha MT-07, both using the same size of tyres as the Crossrunner, also run at the same pressures, regardless of load despite the machines weighing about 70kg less than the identically shod CR. Having ridden several lightweight bikes that use the 120/70/R17 - 180/55/R17 combination, I found them to be very harsh when running at 36F/42R. The handling was razor-sharp but feeling every pimple on the road just wore you down. No matter how the suspension was set up, you always felt like you were dancing over the top of road irregularities rather than following them.

It is interesting to note from Si Click's advice, that the official Honda book values for the pre-2015 models did not provide the best handling, whereas 36F/42R did. That poses another dilemma - since 36F/42R are not the recommended pressures for that model year, would this compromise the insurance/legal position, even though the bike handled better?

Motorcycle tyres are indeed strange things - alas, there are more questions than answers. I have spoken with the Technical Departments of the main four tyre manufacturers regarding bike pressures but all give the same stock answer that I could have found on their websites. Continental were a little more flexible but still vague and reticent to deviate from 'book' values. None of them answered my question concerning overall weight/pillion/luggage etc.

I suspect that it is a legal work-around. If you stay within 10% of recommended pressures you will probably find a sensible pressure for your weight and style and keep within the Law.  Maybe . . . ??  Good Luck!
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

* Recent Topics

topic HELP ! Luggage kit info.
[Accessories and Products]
GeoffTheChef
September 13, 2019, 08:57:43 PM
topic BEST HANDGUARDS ?
[Accessories and Products]
voodoo
September 12, 2019, 07:00:10 AM
topic Hello from Manchester !
[New Members]
voodoo