Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tyres  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Kiwi49

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Not the first Honda - the first CrossRunner
  • Bike: 2012 VFR800X CR
  • City / Town: Carterton
Re: Tyres
Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 09:01:39 AM
Hi all.
Very interested in this thread as I'm still running on 7 year old OE Scorpions.
Bike is 2012 registered in NZ, purchased from first owner at 6330kms/4200 odd miles.
He had really looked after the bike - it was spotless - so didn't bother with my usual checks - tyre pressures, fluid levels, etc.
Rode 500 odd kms home, checked the tyre pressures before a rider training course (at 70 years old, a former motorcycle rider trainer), I'm still learning.
Tyre pressures were 24F/26R. Book says 33F/36R. To be honest, I gave it a bit of stick on the cattle tracks that pass for main highways here in NZ.
I noticed that the front tyre was badly scalloped on the sides, middle was fine. Rear was the reverse.
After my experience with the tyres, I had all the fluids changed - the difference in response/performance was noticeable.
The tyres still hung on despite some pretty impressive lean angles.
I'm tending towards Conti Road Attack for replacements but had PR 4's on my previous bike (R1200RT) - rear was a GT PR 4. Was happy with these, but did notice after 2500kms of hard riding, scalloping was starting to show.
Any experience with Conti's in the group?
Body is old but the skills are still fresh

Offline Si Click

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: Honda VFR 800 X
Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 10:19:46 AM
The Owners Manual for the Mk1 Crossrunner specified the low tyre pressures you mention, presumably because Honda imagined that people would be buying it for use on unpaved tracks as well as the road.  Knowing that the VFR800 on which it was based ran 36F/42R I set mine to that and it transformed the handling.  I understand that the Mk 11 manual now specifies 36F/42R. 

The OE Scorpions are also a compromise tyre,  they are awful when compared to modern rubber on the road and I found they were untrustworthy in the wet.  Do yourself a favour and invest in some new tyres at higher pressure- I run Michelin Pilot Road 4, but there are lots of excellent choices such the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

Actually I found the roads in NZ to be generally excellent, whereabouts are you?
Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:21:42 AM by Si Click
Best Regards Dave
2011 Honda Crossrunner
1955 Triumph TR2
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES

Offline Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 12:15:09 PM
Hi m8.

Can't make a call on the Conti's, but highly recommend Metzeler Roadtec 1s. They're better then my previous favourite, the PR4 as they are better over uneven surfaces and road repairs, especially in the wet and still last over 8000miles for the rear.

I rode a VFR around South Island nearly 3 years ago but avoided any of these "cattle tracks" of which you speak, so maybe a different type of tyre would be more suited if that's the majority of your riding.

Always used standard ST tyre pressure of 36F/42R.
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

Offline Kiwi49

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Not the first Honda - the first CrossRunner
  • Bike: 2012 VFR800X CR
  • City / Town: Carterton
Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 07:52:54 PM
Thanks Si Click and Skids for your advice.
All my previous Honda's ran 36F/42R pressures.
The options for 17" tyres are immense, so, as this bike will likely see out my two wheeled riding days, will have plenty of time to experiment.
Skids - Remutaka Hill, Taupo-Napier Rd and most backcountry roads get hammered by HGV's (cattle & logging trucks).
Rode the South Island (northern half), 2015 for a Ulysses Club AGM/Rally in Westport.
The R1200RT was on 'last legs' PR3's when we returned home 😉.
This bike also ran 36F/42R as well.
Body is old but the skills are still fresh

recent