Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hi From Gloucestershire  (Read 1023 times)

Offline TouringNoob

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 vfr800x
  • City / Town: Stroud
Hi From Gloucestershire
on: May 29, 2018, 04:58:20 PM
Hi all,
bought a 2015 crossrunner in march and have covered about 3000 miles so far, this is the first touring bike i have owned and i should have done this years ago, it certainly eats up miles with ease and in complete comfort.

i originally bought the bike for a specific trip over to Hungary but have taken to using it for everything, my other bikes don't get a look in anymore.

i have been impressed with the bikes practicality and the great sound from the V4/Acro, but i am finding it hard to gel with the gearbox, i am finding it clunky under 6k revs on the up-shifts and rev matching on the downshifts does not seem to smooth things out much either.

Aside from what is probably my "Operator Error" during shifts.... i have noticed that the gear leaver vibrates at 40-45MPH in any gear and after fitting a taller screen i can now hear a medium pitched whining noise at the same time, this occurs with the clutch in or out.

my investigation in to this so far has led to double checking my chain maintenance and changing to a Motul Lube.
Also call to a Honda dealer near me, they were very helpful and suggested removing the front sprocket and lubricating the transfer shaft with cooper grease, this has made things a little quieter but the vibration is still prevalent (chain and sprockets have 5k miles on them and seem in excellent order).

Has anyone else experienced this vibration?
any help would be great thanks all

:031:

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Re: Hi From Gloucestershire
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:02:32 PM
 :400: :031: cant say I've had any of the things your talking about but in time others may well  chip in that have sure there is some vibration but compared to my last bike CBF1000 barely noticeable. 

Offline Throbber

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2015 Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:01:29 PM
I also find the gearbox clunky.  It's just about acceptable but probably the least slick gearbox of any bike I've owned.  I've not noticed the other issues you've mentioned.  As for the vibrating gear lever, is the connecting arm adjusted correctly?

Offline TouringNoob

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: 2015 vfr800x
  • City / Town: Stroud
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 09:35:20 AM
*Originally Posted by Throbber [+]
I also find the gearbox clunky.  It's just about acceptable but probably the least slick gearbox of any bike I've owned.  I've not noticed the other issues you've mentioned.  As for the vibrating gear lever, is the connecting arm adjusted correctly?
hi Throbber, yea the leaver and linkage are all in the right place, i have lowered the action a little to suit my boots using the rod but the gearbox end is still on the factory marks.

the vibration is a bit of a mystery, i am going to go and test ride another to see if i can reproduce the same symptoms at the same speeds etc. i am hoping it is just a trait of the gearbox. 

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:34:11 AM
Sounds like a fairly standard Honda gearbox to me, though test riding another bike may give you some clues, though do make sure someone else has a go so they can compare their experience of the same bike with yours which may highlight issues with the way you use the gearbox. Hope you take that in the manner it is meant and not as a criticism.  :031:
98 VFR800 - 130,000 miles (sold)
08 VFR800 - 76,000 miles (sold)
14 VFR1200 - 20,000 miles
15 VFR800X - 44,000 miles (sold)
18 VFR800X - 9,000 miles

recent