Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2015 RC80 Intermittent Misfire  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Gairo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2016 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Wombourne
Re: 2015 RC80 Intermittent Misfire
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 05:24:26 PM
Cheers guys, I think I’m going to try a fuel injector cleaner as I’ve had the kill switch apart and cleaned that, it’s no different, today heading back from work it nearly threw me off as I went around an island ! I’m falling out of love with her at the moment due to this fault, gotta get it sorted as I ride to Southern France in August.
Can’t find a diagnostics system to fit at the moment, I’d love to get her plugged in and see what she’s saying...

Offline moey47

• Crossrunner Member
  • thunderbolts way
  • Bike: 2011 cr
  • City / Town: sydney
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:26 AM
Don't waste your time and money Gairo, fuel treatments/injector cleaners are a sales gimmick. If you think you have an injector problem, the only way to do it is to remove the injectors and have them ultra sonically cleaned, because if you don't remove them, all the carbon build up that the treatment removes from the injectors ends up inside your engine and can create more problems.From what you have posted it sounds to me like its an electrical problem as they often tend to be intermittent .If I were in your shoes , save your self the hassle ,book it in with a Honda dealer ,get them to connect the OBD, (on board diagnostics )tool, then find out what's exactly going on.Because without the tool, it becomes a guessing game, that can become costly.I know how you feel , about failing out of love with it ,I was in the same boat and nearly got rid of it ,but since it was fixed were best friends again.
Good luck.

Offline Gairo

• Crossrunner Member
  • Bike: 2016 VFR800X
  • City / Town: Wombourne
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 01:15:28 PM
Well the problem is cured !!! Had me scratching my head, pulling my hair out and testing the grey matter of the local Honda dealer technician but I've cured it myself :001:
Turns out it was the quick shifter :230:

Took it off to check it over after realising that it seemed to be happening around the time I was changing gear, it got worse last week hence the decision to have a look at it, turns out it had suffered water ingress due to a poor design... the rubber gaiter on the shift arm plunger allowed water into the unit itself and the protective sleeving around the cables that connect the multiplug at the other end is open to water ingress too. I've left the quickshifter off and its not missed a beat since :028:

Its now back in the original box and back with the Honda dealer I bought it from to see what they can do as it's only 10 months old. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome :002:

Offline moey47

• Crossrunner Member
  • thunderbolts way
  • Bike: 2011 cr
  • City / Town: sydney
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 01:28:34 PM
 :001: :047:well done, thats good to hear.I hope your honda dealer is kind to you with the wareentee

Online Skids

• Crossrunner Master
  • Bike: 2018 800X
  • City / Town: Hitchin
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Gairo [+]
Well the problem is cured !!! Had me scratching my head, pulling my hair out and testing the grey matter of the local Honda dealer technician but I've cured it myself :001:
Turns out it was the quick shifter :230:

Took it off to check it over after realising that it seemed to be happening around the time I was changing gear, it got worse last week hence the decision to have a look at it, turns out it had suffered water ingress due to a poor design... the rubber gaiter on the shift arm plunger allowed water into the unit itself and the protective sleeving around the cables that connect the multiplug at the other end is open to water ingress too. I've left the quickshifter off and its not missed a beat since :028:

Its now back in the original box and back with the Honda dealer I bought it from to see what they can do as it's only 10 months old. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome :002:

Thanks for the update m8, that's very useful to know as I fitted one the other week.  :031:
1 VFR simply isnt enough! Crossrunner for commuting, VFR1200F for summer fun.

* Recent Topics