Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New member with a braking issue  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Colinwri

• Crossrunner Junior
  • Bike: Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Reading
New member with a braking issue
on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:19 PM
Hi, I've just bought a 2014 Crossrunner with 6k miles.  On my first ride out (400miles) my bike's front brakes, on two occassions, locked up from pulling away at traffic lights.  A light press of the front brake level and release and away it goes again.
It is currently in the service shop who have stripped and cleaned the brakes and are finding that not all the time but sometimes the pistons are not returning and are hard to return if forced.  They are about to check the lines for any kinks but have mentioned that it could be a delay valve or the ABS pump.  These items are not cheap and it seems like I have to buy the items for them to be fitted one by one until culprit found.
Has anyone had this experience and have any solution that does not break the bank?

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Re: New member with a braking issue
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:51:44 AM
Hi not had it myself and clean pads and calipers will help, the pistons once you let go of the lever only have the deflection of the main seal to retract them this you can see if you look closely they don't move much.

Offline Colinwri

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:34 PM
Thanks for your reply.  The brakes have been stripped and cleaned with new fluid. The majority of the time the brakes do as you describe.  The problem is on some occassions they will not release as designed and i'll pull away and 100 yards later the bike will come to a complete stop without any pressure on the lever at all.  only after a light touch and release of the lever will the brakes then free themselves.
The garage has discovered this with the calipers off the disk and found it excessively hard to return the pistons (not all the time) so are investigating it but I will have to buy any parts they replace even if it doesn't resolve the problem meaning a potential £2000 bill.  :087:

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:38:18 PM
A strange problem indeed but should not have pay the garage to test fit parts that you don't need  have you tried speaking to Honda UK to see if any others have had the same problem.

Offline Colinwri

• Crossrunner Junior
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:22:38 PM
I collected the bike today. The brakes do feel better having been serviced but they confirmed a problem still exists because the pistons cannot be pushed fully in without it forcing another piston out.
I'll take your advise and make some phone calls tomorrow.
Thanks for replying :)

Offline Notgotone

• Ex Member
  • Crossrunner Pro
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:02 AM
The pistons will move out if 1 is pressed in and the other left free you are trying to push a large surface area of fluid behind the piston back through a relatively small hole, also check that there is an air gap gap above the the fluid level in the master cylinder ie not over filled as this will effect fluid coming back.